Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time Alfa owner, just bought a 1991 164 S off Ebay, and like I do with every car I own, checked for a forum for it, so here I am. :)

Little background, I'm mostly a truck/jeep guy, but a while ago I got into watching the British version of Top Gear, and their opinions of Alfa Romeos might have infected me a bit, so when I saw a fairly cheap one for sale on ebay near me, I sprang for it. Hoping I didn't screw up royally. :D

Here she is:

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Welcome and congradulations on a great looking 164 !

In the words of Dr. J. Clarkson....

"how hard could it be ?"

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome and congradulations on a great looking 164 !

In the words of Dr. J. Clarkson....

"how hard could it be ?"
Oh no, now I'm terrified what might break! :)

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
They are very dependable as long as you drive them Hard !!

I have an "S" and love it,,,

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Welcome aboard. Now be prepared to own 6 more from varying decades :D.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcome! I was gonna post some pics today, but my camera died, so I'm gonna link the ebay page so you guys can have a better look than that one picture.

Alfa Romeo | eBay

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Ciao! Good looking 164. Plenty of help and information to be found here, but a warning, you will find yourself spending way too much time on this BB :)

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
...I have an "S" and love it,,,
And I have a different "S" that HeavyMetalAlfa sold to me and I love it.

Expanding on the theme, seriously, the more you can drive it the better it will be. And they do prefer to be leaned on a little.

Do you know the service history of the car? If you don't, schedule a timing belt change soon.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know the service history of the car? If you don't, schedule a timing belt change soon.
Sadly I do not, but I'll put it on the list. Already need to replace the radio (happen to have a random aftermarket one I've had laying around for years) and see what's up with the AC, blows but doesn't blow cold. Gonna have to make a thread in the 164 section with everything I find. :)

·
Registered
it's almost a alfa romeo spider
11,002 Posts
spending ' WAY' to much time here..... come on.. there are only 24 hours in a day.. what would you call to much time?:):) when my pc is on, it's alway linked to here..:):) home away from home..

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Ok....as an Alfa owner AND a 93 YJ owner I gotta say "***"?!?!?!? :p

The 164S is a great car, loves to cruise at 90mph and feels soooooooo good, not too good offroad though! Get the timing belt done and drive it, run it close to red line and shift through the gears and enjoy the H E double hockey sticks out of it.

:D

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
... Gonna have to make a thread in the 164 section with everything I find. :)
Prolly a thread for lots of the common stuff and most of the rare things you'll come across, if you are looking for help or hints. The search feature works well. Don't worry about asking questions here. Lots of experience here to help. Have fun!

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
one more thing on the radio, the connectors if they still exist in the car are Chrysler. No need to cut the harness. The adapters they sell for Chrysler products at the stereo shops will work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
one more thing on the radio, the connectors if they still exist in the car are Chrysler. No need to cut the harness. The adapters they sell for Chrysler products at the stereo shops will work.
Ahh, I didn't know that, should help a lot cause I have the connectors already, the stereo was originally bought for my '00 Jeep Wrangler and when I sold it I put the stock one back in. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts