Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there, great site you have here
long time enthusiast, first step towards actually owning my own though,

Have been playing with a few amusing projects from offerings of mother mopar until recently, as directions change, people grow apart, ex's get nasty and try to ruin the one person that supported their stupid tangents and poor decisions over the last ten plus years and try and lay claim to everything they both wouldn't have without me, And had no interest or input in until the money stopped.

Long story short, toys are dispersed, and I finally find myself looking at a little 1975 alfetta to keep me interested

Plan is, fix the rust, open the carbs and exhaust, freshen and shakedown the car, pull a little weight then possibly register and run a few track days

Any sugestions?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
Welcome to the board!

You could do a lot worse - fun and rewarding cars to tinker with.

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
Congrats. Had one of those, liked to drive it better than the 78 we had later, different sportier gearing.

You don't say where you live, but this car cannot be used in the winter in any area that uses salt on their roads. I'm speaking from painful experience, where after living in DC for two years, and my having to use our 1975 as a daily driver, the rust in the chassis, esp around the front suspension mounting areas, was really bad. This was in 78 and 79, with only 40k miles on the car. Being from Seattle, where most cars including Alfas basically didn't rust worth talking about, we were just plain shocked at the destruction in such a short time. Car would have had to be dismantled to get to all the rust in the chassis.

We did buy a very low mileage 78, which was much much better at not rusting, getting no rust in the 180k miles we drove it. It now lives a good life in Mass.

Have fun driving it, though, although I personally wouldn't alter it much, as they rarely get returned back to stock, and that would be a pity, these cars being somewhat rare now, most of them rusting out. JMO.

·
Premium Member
963 Posts
Great handling cars. If you have the dollars, time and the skills, which it sounds like you do, then get it done brother! You'll find all the support you need right here for sure!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys, based in tasmania, that little isle just below Australia, home of toranas, monaros, gt falcons and 6pack chargers

And tassie's worse, she's Holden country down here, lots of other cool cars like these from the era really aren't that well known, with all the bits the old school guys are first to fit to theirs, and worth next to nothing.. Works for me ?

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
When we were in Tasmania, the guy we rented a car from drove Alfas, saw several in Hobart. Had a really nice Italian dinner there in downtown Hobart, spending the evening talking and drinking wine with the Italian owner.

Really pretty area, would like to return some day to see more of the island, having seen only the east half, hitting wineries here and there around the east side, north and south.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
rusty 75 Alfas vs. ex's? Though call as to which is cheaper over time.....ciao jc

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Spoke to the previous owner today, she comes with a second car.. Well, most of one..

Gifted with some mild porting history, and a hand for aluminium welding I'm kind of looking forward to having a play with chambers in the second head, what do you guys reccomend as far as a tidy up on the intake runners? Or a good thread on here they could recommend, as my search doesn't seem to be pulling anything on keywords

... Just realised what I just did then, before even picking a 'tidy up and drive' project up, i've started a long 'to do' list

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Welcome Dazz! I suggest putting your location in your signature. We love finding out about where people live and what life is like there. It is one of the wonderful things about this forum.

We are long overdue for a holiday in Tassie and have never driven an Alfa on your lovely roads. I am sure you will have fun with your Alfetta. You do realise it is a disease don't you?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts