Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lengthy rebuild (15 years) of my 1967 Sprint Gtv, I'm starting to fitout the interior.

I just fitted my steering wheel and realised I have no wire coming through the centre of the steering column to fit to the horn button.

Does anyone know where it is supposed to goto or come from?

Regards
Trev

·
Registered
567 Posts
Trev,
I just dealt with this from the other end, chasing a couple of mystery wires on my 67 GTV that will be waking up from it's 32 year nap tomorrow.
The first thing I would recommend is to get a wiring diagram from Papajam, it is invaluable.
in the attached pics, you can see a red wire along the box section for the left inner fender. this is a hot 12-volt lead which goes to the horn relay on the opposite fender, miy relay is attached to the fuse box. Check this wire for continuity (ohms), and check for voltage to ground (remember, it's +). on my car, the wire was broken, but it connected to the green wire which you can see entering the steering box. this wire should have been red, so it's a repair job. When you depress the horn ring, you complete the open circuit which causes the horn relay to click (audible). Someone else will have to give you instructions on the wiring in the steering column if you are missing that wire.
Stan

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
of course, if your car has the steering box on the wrong side, you will need to look at the pictures in a mirror.

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Trev,

My horn relay (1970 GTV) has 3 pins, labelled C1, C2 and W.

C2 is connected to 12V via a red wire
C1 is connected to the horns via a violet wire
W is the relay earth line and is the black wire that goes up through the steering column and connects to the horn ring on the steering wheel. When you press the horn ring, this wire is grounded thus energising the relay which activates the horns.

The horns themselves have two pins. The 'positive' pins are connected together with a violet wire that goes to C1 on the relay. The 'negative' pins are earthed.

This is the general setup for all electrical horns. Yours will be similar though the wire colours may be different.
Get hold of a wiring diagram - it will be invaluable when you get to all of the rest of the wiring.

Hope this helps,
Chris

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have no wire coming through the centre of the steering column to fit to the horn button.
If the wire breaks off inside the steering column, it can slide down until it falls out of the steering box and even trails along the road. That could explain why you have no wire. I had to replace this wire in my 1300TI sedan last year. To get the new wire through, I used a solid shielded copper wire stripped from mains wiring, because it's stiffer than stranded wire. I pushed it in from the bottom (the hole on the steering box) until it showed up at the steering wheel. It took a bit of prodding and rotating, as the route isn't entirely free of obstacles. Then attach some flexible stranded wire at the top and use the solid wire to pull that down through. Strip and attach the top end of the stranded wire to the screw in the horn ring, and route the bottom end of the wire to the relay as has been noted.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts