Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The only way I've found to turn the motor manually on my Giulia Sprint is by using a socket on the crankshaft pulley nut. To do this I have to remove the radiator and the fan which is a bit of a pain.

I've tried turning the generator pulley nut but no matter how tight the belt is the generator pulley slips inside the belt (when its cold).

I've also tired putting the car in gear and jacking up the back wheels, but for some reason rotating the back wheels does not turn the motor.

Is there some way I haven't thought of?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yep. Car in fifth gear with wheels on ground. Push slowly in either direction by bending over the engine bay and holding on to the fender above the wheel. It's a good idea to do this on level ground and with the bonnet (hood) securely in the upright position (I assume you want to look at your engine while rotating the internals?).

·
Premium Member
2,631 Posts
If I can't get to the nut I use a set a Vise Grips with the Chain on it and wrap it around the pulley.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have found that if you remove the plugs, you can then easily turn the engine by hand just by grabbing the crank pulley (car in neutral of course).

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I have found that if you remove the plugs, you can then easily turn the engine by hand just by grabbing the crank pulley (car in neutral of course).
Yep - handbrake on, in neutral and plugs out. Turns very easily by hand.

Chris

·
Registered
811 Posts
Never tried this but what about jacking only one wheel off the ground and turning it ?

If both are off the ground you would have to stop the one you are not turning from turning ? I'm getting a bit dizzy thinking about it .

·
Registered
95 Posts
If both are off the ground you would have to stop the one you are not turning from turning ? I'm getting a bit dizzy thinking about it .
I've had success by doing just that - while on 5th gear, with both rear wheels off the ground, I jammed a 2"x6" piece of wood under one of the tires, and rotated the opposite wheel. It's a bit tricky - if you rotate the wheel in the wrong direction, the wood piece falls off; you'll need to jam from the other side of the tire.

Admittedly, this method is not as efficient as the other methods mentioned already. And you don't get to watch the engine as it turns (for example, the timing marks on the crank pulley.) But it works OK, kinda.

Good luck,

enrique

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I'll try with the plugs out.

Out of interest, why won't the motor turn if both wheels are off the ground?

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
One of the benefits of moving to an electric fan and putting it in front of the radiator is access to the front of the engine. I'm pretty new to the Alfa world still and have already been glad I did this more than once!

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,569 Posts
you could take the plugs out and insert four air fittings in each plugh hole, then build a rotary valve with four outputs screwed into the fittings in the firing order that when turned by a motor it discharges pressurized air into each cylinder on the power stroke. the faster you run the motor the faster the engine will turn over. disconnect the fuel line so as not to wash the cylinder walls with gasoline. piece of cake:)

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
That's awesome! Can't we find a way to use steam so we clean the tops of the pistons at the same time?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
If you're big and muscular like me* (form an orderly queue please laydees...) you can turn the engine by hand using the fan blades even with the plugs in. Press the top of the belt to increase the tension and stop it slipping.

*This is a joke by the way, I'm 6 feet tall and 150 lbs soaking wet but I do have very strong fingers...

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
If you're big and muscular like me* (form an orderly queue please laydees...) you can turn the engine by hand using the fan blades even with the plugs in. Press the top of the belt to increase the tension and stop it slipping.

*This is a joke by the way, I'm 6 feet tall and 150 lbs soaking wet but I do have very strong fingers...

This is my preferred method and with the plugs out, it's even easier. I usually find that if I'm fiddling with the timing, I have the plugs out to clean/change them.

For the record, I'm 178 cm and weigh in at a lean and muscled 80kg (that's 5'11" and 176lb for all you non-metric folk) - that is, a typical fit, bronzed Aussie :D

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
I'd advise against using the fan blades. As they have aged, the are a bit brittle. You can cause a small crack, which will extend next time you reach high rpm. You can cut the radiator hose, and make some nice dents in the hood.

Do NOT ask me how I know this!! I deny everything! In fact, I never wrote this.

;)

Robert

1 - 16 of 16 Posts