Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've removed a wiper motor from an '87 Quad Spider that I am parting out. It is complete with the wire tail and connections. How can I test the function of the motor without installing it in a car. There are five wires from the connection box and two that lead to the motor. I don't want to fry something, just make sure it works. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Ray Kiszely:eek:

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Only two wires to the motor? The wiring diagram shows four plus a ground. Could you post a pic of the unit or identify the wire colors?

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wire colors on the motor.

Jim:
In the photo attached you will see a Bosch model # 058 649 Wiper motor.
The five wires from the pigtail from left to right are solid gray, solid blue, black, blue with white stripe, blue with black stripe. The solid gray is soldered on the connection to the red wire on the motor and the solid blue is soldered on the coonnection to the green wire on the motor.
I hope this helps you diagnose my situation. All I want to do is make sure the motor runs correctly so that I can sell it to someone who needs one.
Thanks.
Ray Kiszely

·
16,232 Posts
Thanks for the pic!

I'm not 100% sure here so please bear with me.
The solid gray and blue wires are hot all the time. Providing power to either the blue/black or the blue/white should be one speed and providing power to the other wire (either the blue/white or blue/black) might be the second speed. I say might because on the older permanent magnet 3-wire motors, providing power to two wires at the same time would provide the second speed. So if you don't get the second speed by connecting one wire, provide power to both the blue/white and the blue/black wires at the same time.
One could assume that the black wire is the ground but the older motors are grounded through the motor housing.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you!

Jim:
thanks for the detailed explanation. I'm in Maryland this weekend and will be back to North Carolina on Sunday evening. I'll check it out then. Regards
Ray

·
16,232 Posts
Geez, that's the second time today I can't proof read! Please note the addition of the word NOT in the first sentence of my previous post. It should read 'I'm not 100% sure..."

Sorry. :eek:

...and good luck!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Just a side note. Seems Alfa Romeo recognised the need of separate grounds for later models. I'm always fan of this for the older models, too. Check the spare ground on the attached photo. Lazy wipers, never again then.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,454 Posts
I am familiar with the 4 wire units from earlier spiders and GTV's. Your 5th wire might be a ground. You can verify that with an ohmeter.

Connect battery -ve to ground and positive 12v to the red wire from the motor and it should run at the slow speed. Move the positive wire from red to green and the motor should run fast. If you connect it to both of them, the motor will run at a medium speed.

Two of the other wires go to the parking switch. Connect an ohmeter or test lamp to them. Run the motor with the battery. The switch should be closed almost all the time. It opens briefly when the wipers are in the park position.

Ed Prytherch
79 Spider
2 x 88 Verde's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts