Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the unit pictured below. I am trying to figure out whether it is good to use on a motor I am building (i.e. engine not in car, so can't test in car). How do I test? Electricity is not my strong suit, but I can follow directions if anyone has some wisdom to share.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
899 Posts
Well, oil pressure within that bell would cause a change in resistance measured at the terminal. However, not sure how you would provide said pressure, unless with an air line and suitable fittings/adapters/bodges. All this would tell you is whether there is a change in resistance as measured at the terminal. Whether this corresponds to an accurate gauge reading is a whole 'nother matter !

·
Premium Member
14,231 Posts
Here is the setup that I used:

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow Ed...that was quite a read. Impressive test data. I am inclined to try to reuse the one I pictured above mainly because I hear such bad things about the aftermarket ones available. And it sounds like the senders are different for GTV and Spider? Alfa parts catalog only lists one, but if they vary that just makes it more difficult.

Did you ever use the Sunpro sender? Recommend?

·
Registered
5,577 Posts
ive used sunpro sender and they last about 3 years. Same sender for both 2L motor and 164 V-6 motor

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,649 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Sunpro is the wrong resistance range for the earlier Veglia gauges. It's also tapered NPT thread (rather than the correct M10x1 straight thread) so not a great idea all around IMO.

Scott, those senders are a wear item and that one looks like it's seen plenty of miles. I would just buy a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah - I was gonna get that thread adapter if I went Sunpro.

But for new "Veglia", any thoughts on the "best" source? From what I read, there's a fair amount of junk senders out there.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,649 Posts
If you're talking the '74 gauges the one I got from Classic Alfa seems to work fine. EN056.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I needed to hear. Thanks Tom!

·
Premium Member
14,231 Posts
My description of "Spider" and "GTV" in that thread referred to later and earlier senders. A 74 GTV uses the "Spider" sender.

·
Premium Member
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My description of "Spider" and "GTV" in that thread referred to later and earlier senders. A 74 GTV uses the "Spider" sender.
OK - that makes more sense now. Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts