Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I tell if my MMs need replacement? What are the indicators that MMs may be failing? Mine do not look worn or deformed but are most likely original to my '71 Spider. Car hasn't been driven since '89. Will mounts fail from just sitting?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Yes the mounts will fail from just sitting.

One of the best indications of motor mount health is to look at the clearance between the Nylon fan blades and the radiator shroud. There should be as much clearance on the bottom as there is on top (same amount).

As mounts get old they lose resilience and sag (usually from oil etc.,). If you go over a substantial bump, the mounts will allow the motor to drop down enough for the fan blades to hit the Rad shroud. When that happens the blades shatter, causing no end of damage to the rad and hood.

If you have an oil pan guard, you can gauge motor mount sag by the closeness to the guard. Compare it to another car, with good mounts. It think mine was about 1 1/2 unches or so.

False economy not to replace mounts, as they improve handling and smoothness of the drive shaft lineup.

Mounts can be done in your driveway in an afternoon, especially with the tips just posted by tofarsouth on the AlfaBB.

Best regards, Elio

ps; Are you investing in 2006 Bourdeaux futures this year?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
If you KNOW they haven't been done since 1989, over 15 years ago, then yes, replace them!!! They are fairly cheap and easy to do, especially in an older car....not as much clutter!
If you don't replace them the fan could/will hit the lower part of the body/frame thingy and EXPLODE sending bits through your radiator and also denting the hood. Trust me....this happens. :(

·
Premium Member
22,253 Posts
If they get bad enough, other things can hit, including the cam cover on the brake booster, and the oil pan can bottom out on the center steering link, making the steering very heavy. They also affect driveshaft angle. If you're replacing motor mounts, it might pay to look at the trans mount at the same time to see how it is.

Andrew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts