Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
Interesting though this may be, it might not be in our best interests to have it out there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Typhoon90: Did you ground the connector or apply +12v?
Applied +12v

Interesting though this may be, it might not be in our best interests to have it out there.
Don't worry, I'm sure car thieves aren't clamouring to steal sub $3k cars to rebirth, for parts or even to joyride!

·
Registered
235 Posts
AHHHHHH that's crazy, seems a little dangerous to be running current into random plugs . Shouldn't frying the ECU be a Worry.
Other than that Cool very cool.

·
Registered
235 Posts
yeah but they'd still have to bypass the steering lock, and if they going to do that these cars are just as easy do .... you know right from the ignition.
I just wouldn't mention any keys words that someone would use to learn how to .... you know one of our cars.

·
Registered
253 Posts
yeah but they'd still have to bypass the steering lock, and if they going to do that these cars are just as easy do .... you know right from the ignition.
I just wouldn't mention any keys words that someone would use to learn how to .... you know one of our cars.
I agree, the more vague we keep it the better...

Very interesting though, I would have never tried that.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,455 Posts
Even if it started, I don't understand how it keeps running without ignition power. Without the key in there should not be any power to stuff like the fuel pump and whatnot. Unless the electronics on this car have been bodged...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Even if it started, I don't understand how it keeps running without ignition power. Without the key in there should not be any power to stuff like the fuel pump and whatnot. Unless the electronics on this car have been bodged...
I was testing the cold start injector system, ignition was on. Easy enough to jump 12v to the relay packs in the engine bay if you were desperate though.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,455 Posts
Okay, so except for the key in the ignition this hack is "no key" then. Gotcha. :rolleyes:

You're just sending 12V to the starter solenoid via the TTS connector. Basically you've re-invented the remote starter switch. $8 at the auto parts store.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so except for the key in the ignition this hack is "no key" then. Gotcha. :rolleyes:

You're just sending 12V to the starter solenoid via the TTS connector. Basically you've re-invented the remote starter switch. $8 at the auto parts store.
Yeah, and you knew how to do that before I posted it.:rolleyes:

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,455 Posts
No, because there's a better way. I can do the same thing at the place that was designed for it (and without removing a plug from the injection system)

There's a junction box on the firewall with a plastic cover. IIRC, one side has a +12V stud and the other side has the wires that go to the starter solenoid. You jumper across these to crank the starter: connect one clip of your starter switch to the +12 side, one clip to the starter side, and you're good to go.

Anyway, the main issue is that you posted this as "no keys" when, in fact, you had the keys in the ignition and the ignition on. Bit of a difference there, no? If you look at the posts above, you'll see that this incorrectly had people worried that this would start and run the car without the keys, and thus was a potential theft risk.

If you have the ignition turned on in *any* car, you can start it by sending +12 to the starter solenoid. That's all you did, just backwards through the wire to the TTS.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I posted up an interesting little quirk I accidentally discovered and you're going on like the grand high master of Alfa.
You clearly have the largest E wang, no go find something else to nit pick.

No, because there's a better way. I can do the same thing at the place that was designed for it (and without removing a plug from the injection system)

There's a junction box on the firewall with a plastic cover. IIRC, one side has a +12V stud and the other side has the wires that go to the starter solenoid. You jumper across these to crank the starter: connect one clip of your starter switch to the +12 side, one clip to the starter side, and you're good to go.

Anyway, the main issue is that you posted this as "no keys" when, in fact, you had the keys in the ignition and the ignition on. Bit of a difference there, no? If you look at the posts above, you'll see that this incorrectly had people worried that this would start and run the car without the keys, and thus was a potential theft risk.

If you have the ignition turned on in *any* car, you can start it by sending +12 to the starter solenoid. That's all you did, just backwards through the wire to the TTS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts