Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,
I am trying to fix the electric windows on my 87 veloce before it gets to cold. It's been a struggle but I think I think I have finally figured them out. I am at the point now where I need to connect the cables to the pulley's and the regulator barrel. My question is how many turns do I need on the barrel for each end of the cables (I assume 2-3) and more importantly, how do I stop the cables from unspooling off the regulator barrel. As soon as I let go of the cable that I have wound on the barrel it unspools immediately. I have found a lot of good info on these forums but I have not seen anything on how to stop the unspooling problem.
thanks guys
Bill L

·
Registered
442 Posts
First off make sure that your cables are exiting the winding mechanisn between the correct posts that hold the spool mechanism together.Fill all of the spool grooves with an equal amount of turns on each side and then tie wrap the cable to the posts. This will stop the cable from un-spooling. This is easiest to do with the mechanism removed from the door. It's not easy, but try to wind the cable around the spool without creating any kinks or twists in the cable. After installing the mechanism,thread as much of the cable as you can around the door pulleys and when you get to the point where you need to cut the tie wrap keep tension on the cable that you are about to cut the wrap on or it will un-spool and you will have to start over. If you put your window 1/2 way up and secure the cables you will be close to being in the right position.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Norseman and Bob for your quick response. I think the tips that Bob provided address my exact challenge. I will give it a try this afternoon and let you know how I make out
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello guys,
I am trying to fix the electric windows on my 87 veloce before it gets to cold. It's been a struggle but I think I think I have finally figured them out. I am at the point now where I need to connect the cables to the pulley's and the regulator barrel. My question is how many turns do I need on the barrel for each end of the cables (I assume 2-3) and more importantly, how do I stop the cables from unspooling off the regulator barrel. As soon as I let go of the cable that I have wound on the barrel it unspools immediately. I have found a lot of good info on these forums but I have not seen anything on how to stop the unspooling problem.
thanks guys
Bill L
I have done this to hold the cable in place.

Tear off four or more lengths of masking tape about a foot or more in length. Stick the ends to a spot easy to reach when you do the following. Wrap the cable tightly around the drum. Hold it with one hand. Wrap just enough masking tape around the cable on the drum to secufe it from unwrapping.

Reassemble the window mechanism. When you operate the window, the masking tape will tear off the cable and drum. Reach in and remove.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to follow Bob Halfa's instructions but ended up with to much slack in the cable. I am thinking I either did not have enough equal turns on the spool or I exited the cable out between the wrong posts. Can anyone confirm correct way cables should exit? I have been unable to locate a pic of the regulator with cable spooled.

I will give it another go, and try Sdebaker suggestion to tape the cable on the spool. Cutting the twine I used was not very easy.

Thanks again for everyone's help
Bill L

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
I tried to follow Bob Halfa's instructions but ended up with to much slack in the cable. I am thinking I either did not have enough equal turns on the spool or I exited the cable out between the wrong posts. Can anyone confirm correct way cables should exit? I have been unable to locate a pic of the regulator with cable spooled.

I will give it another go, and try Sdebaker suggestion to tape the cable on the spool. Cutting the twine I used was not very easy.

Bill L
Hi Bill,

This post has a picture at the end that shows the window cable wound on the regulator spool:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/177511-power-window-regulator-cable-84-spider.html#post983527

I can't tell which cable is heading towards the front of the door and which is heading to the back, but perhaps you can figure it out by looking at the photo. It's quite clear that each of the two cables gets routed between different pins. One goes forward and one heads to the rear. Once again I can't tell from the picture which is which, but since you have all the parts in front of you I'm satisfied that you can deduce how it goes.

Also, I think BobHalfa used plastic cable ties (and not twine) to hold the cable in place on the spool unit he had it all routed on the pulleys inside the door. Does any of this help?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Edward: You are correct about the plastic cable ties, thanks for the correction. Now that you pointed that out, the metal tie that holds a loaf of bread closed is also considered a tie wrap. If your cables are not rubbing against one of the posts with everything in place then they are routed correctly coming out of the spool mechanism..

·
Registered
372 Posts

Bill L
That pic from my old post shows the passenger side drum wound up... I'm not sure what you mean about enough equal turns. The spool should have cable in every groove, right?

The cable tie suggestion would have saved me a lot of headache a few years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well I used the plastic ties to prevent the unspooling and the link to the pics from Norseman50 were a huge help. I haven't put the window back in but it seems to be working. Seems a little loud but let's see what happens when I get it all put back together.
This was a tough job! I am very great full for all the help. Without everyone's help and tips this could have been a very long and frustrating job. I switched from a British car to an Italian car. This may be a sign of what is to come in the future.
Living the dream,
Bill L

·
Registered
183 Posts
For the people who have done this, because I am about to, do you wind from the outside in to mid point or the other way around?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts