Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently cleaning up the stereo wiring in my 1985 GTV6, and I've come across a weird thing. How do you route the speaker wires from the doors to the center console? On my car, at least, I've got proper holes and grommets for the wires coming out of the doors, but there is no place for them to actually enter the car. The PO had them tucked in under the door gasket (see pics). Was this an aftermarket thing?
Moreover, once you have them into the car itself, how would you route them to that opening in the carpet on the center tunnel where the rest of the radio wiring is? Do I need to remove the dash, or is there some other way to get there. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As an added question along these same lines, the PO appears to have installed a Bosch-style relay along with the modern stereo. If I'm putting it back to a period correct stereo, do I still need the relay? Again, thanks for any guidance.

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just bumping this in case anyone has any ideas. I did find a little rubber plug on the chassis in the door jamb that looks like it might be suited for routing a speaker wire through?

·
Premium Member
15,855 Posts
Maybe, don't remember from my cars from then now. If nothing else drill a hole, install a grommet, and go from there.

·
Registered
448 Posts
On mine, the previous owner had drilled a hole and I hated it, so I 'fished' a new wire through the existing power window/mirror harness using a coat hanger, so you cant tell its there. Make sure the door is open wide to do this, I maybe recall removing the stopper to get more angle on the door to accomplish this

·
Registered
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On mine, the previous owner had drilled a hole and I hated it, so I 'fished' a new wire through the existing power window/mirror harness using a coat hanger, so you cant tell its there. Make sure the door is open wide to do this, I maybe recall removing the stopper to get more angle on the door to accomplish this
That is a brilliant idea. I was all ready to drill a hole with a step drill bit and use a rubber boot, but I didn't even think about the power window harness. I'm going to check that out tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Ya, there is a rigid plastic conduit in the door hinge for all the other door wiring. I don't know how to get to the chassis side of it but it would be the preferred way to get wire into the door.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts