Alfa Romeo Forums banner

How to remove the water pump?

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Alfisto Steve 
Hmmm. this sounds like the problem I _almost_ had on my son's '92 164S. What we did instead was to notice that if the frame holding the alternator were to be moved outward farther than it will go with the belt on, the water pump could move right (toward front of car) enough to clear the oil pump pulley at the left edge. We released the alternator bracket tiedown bolts, slackened the belt and removed it, then ran the alt. forward so the wpump would clear. No problem. You might find Steve's suggestion better, as I remember it is a pain to tension the alt. belt. i thought the bolt hidden behind the oil pump was accessible with a wrench. My memory may be at fault here.

Michael

Pull the thermostat housing off. It disconnectes with four bolts from the top of the water pump. You might want to pull the top segment (three bolts) first. Best wishes for you. The middle piece is a junction box that holds the thermal sensors, as I recall.

Well, I didn't mean to imply I worked around the timing belt. When we did my son's '92 S car, I thought we would have to remove something strange, as the rear-most bit of the water pump body was trapped behind the oil pump drive gear. Unpleasant feeling. I found the workaround with the alt mounting, and all was well. I don't remember this problem with my wife's '91 that my daughter now drives, nor with the '91 that my wofe now drives. Maybe the reason is that the alt. drive belt on the '92 is a bit shorter than that on the other cars? I don't know, and probably won't find out any time soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.