Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I started to take my spider apart...
I removed the dashboard and I would like to remove the carpet.
But it seems that the heater core disturbs me to remove it.
I noticed there are 4 nuts on the top of it, but it doesn't seems that removing those nuts will allow me to remove the core.
What do you say? how should I do that?
Thanks,
Saar.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you remove those 4 nuts ,hoses, ducts and linkage , you can remove entire heater fan and core as a unit. Then take it apart on bench!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just went through this on my S3 and it is not for the feint of heart. There was a lot of support from this board however. Just put the dash back on tonight and hopefully will get my floorpan fixed soon. With any luck it will all be ready by the first snowfall. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I too am in the later stages of this process - replaced the heater fan, hoses heater valve, drain hoses - and will be installing a new heater core - just waiting for it to arrive. Entire dash, console, etc... is out of the car. My original heater core did have a leak so I bit the bullet and ordered a new core...

Like Tosaquad my car is an S3 (89 spider Veloce) and it has Air Conditioning. Long story short, I was able to get the heater unit out in two pieces (top half that holds the core and bottom half that holds fan) without having to remove the AC unit - but just barely. I ended up loosening the metal 'strap' that holds the AC unit to the firewall... and also removed the gear shift 'bell' with outer rubber boot to give some more clearance to 'lower and move the AC unit a bit' enabling me to remove the heater unit one half at a time. Still - I barely got it out.

I plan on reinstalling the heater unit as a complete piece - all bolted back together, but as I wait for my new core to arrive, I am not feeling the most confident that I'll be able to get the heater reinstalled as one piece with that AC unit there.

Questions for Tosaquad or anyone that has done this procedure on an S3 spider with Air Conditioning:

- Did you end up having to remove the AC unit from the interior of the car to get the heater unit back in?
- If you did end up having to remove the AC unit, can you describe the process you went through to disconnect, and (I'm assuming ) discharge the AC system? I have never discharged an AC system before and that one spooks me.
- If you didn't end up having to remove the AC unit, can you describe what you did did to 'move it out of the way enough' to get that heater assembly back in the car - in one piece?

Many thanks for insights. Do not mean to hijack, but hopefully the insights will help the author of this thread and others... whom are about to embark on this challenging project. I have searched the forum for remarks about this and was unable to find much discussion - specifically about dealing with the AC unit obstruction and heater core replacement.

Tony

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have an '88 Quad, and have had the heater core out and back in without detaching the A/C. There was enough slack in the lines to move the unit out of the way to get the heater in and out. IIRC, to re-install it, I tilted the unit top forward, stuck the top in place, then rolled the bottom of the unit forward.

T

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have A/C. the previous owner removed it....
(a wise guy, removing the A/C from a car in a country with ~35c during the summer)
Saar.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Saar,

You need to know this! The foam looking (seal) or gasket at the top of the diagram above is glued (so it seems) to the bottom of the air duct it attaches to. When you remove all the connecting hardware the heater box still will not come down. This makes you think that there are some other bolt(s) you have missed. Not so. The glue just has to be forceably seperated. This may make the foam seal tear up, with some of it sticking to the heater box and some sticking to the air duce of the body work. You have to pull the heater box down and out and accept that you may have to fabricate a new seal yourself.

Been there and done that.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Registered
78 Posts
My car does not have a/c so that wasn't an issue taking out the box. The toughest part I had was getting to the wing nut on the drivers side. I have a set of pictures which show the box and how it looks taken apart and if you email me ([email protected]) I can send them.

I think it's wise to take the whole box apart. In my case, the leaky core had oozed coolant to the bottom of the box where it sat like sludge. Thankfully the blower motor was ok. I know someone recommended drilling holes at the bottom of the unit. I didn't do that but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea.

By the way if anyone knows where to get the metal clips that hold the box closed, let me know. A couple of mine are somewhere in my neighbors yard.

To Saar, removing the four nuts at the top of the unit, that secure it to the car, as well as removing the hoses, should allow you to pull out the box. There are also three electrical connections for the blower motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts