Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install a new leather pull around the lock of my 1969 Spider glovebox but it appears as if I have to remove the lock to do so? Anyone know how to do this? I am not mechanically inclined at all but it likely isn't too hard... thoughts? thanks

·
chiuso per ferie
11,806 Posts
It's best to perform this procedural with the key in the lock. If the tumbler falls out, it will be messy.

You will need a small flat head screw driver and a pair of pliers. In the first picture, the screw driver is touching a dark colored clip. That holds the latch arm. Use the small flat head screw driver to push the clip of. Do not try to pry it up, it pushes off. It's a type of circlip.

Once that is done, remove the latch arm. In the next picture. the screw driver is touching a threaded lock ring. Unscrew that to remove the lock mechanism.

The lock is keyed and goes in only one way.

Use the pliers to re-install the circlip.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much. I don't have a key to the glovebox, any special precaution I should take in that situation?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,279 Posts
I don't think that's a problem. Without the key in place I don't think the lock cylinder will come out of the lock.

Remove the clip and then take off the latch arm. Then you should be able to just unscrew that ring he's pointing to in the picture and take the lock body off the front. Then replace the leather tab and reverse the process.

·
Registered
7,844 Posts
while you have the lock off, why not just get a local locksmith to cut you a key!

·
chiuso per ferie
11,806 Posts
I don't think that's a problem. Without the key in place I don't think the lock cylinder will come out of the lock.
They can and will fall out. The lock on these cars is different from those that you are familiar with,

while you have the lock off, why not just get a local locksmith to cut you a key!
BINGO!

Thanks much. I don't have a key to the glovebox, any special precaution I should take in that situation?
Just be careful when you remove the lock. Once removed, carefully slide the tumblers out and wrap with some painter's tape.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts