Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am trying to remove the rear console and the manual says to remove and disconnect the front cigar lighter, among other things. I rigged up a set of snap ring pliers to go into the two round holes in the lighter, but I can't get the thing to move. Any suggestions? Is it supposed to unscrew counter clockwise?

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
You don't need to remove the front lighter to remove the rear console???? You do need to remove the rear ashtray/lighter to get to the two screws that hold the back of the console down to the floor. To do that, flip down the ashtray and push down on the two metal tabs and pull the thing down to the floor. Once it's loose, lift up and out. Now you can get to those two screws. Now slide the whole console back toward rear of car. The front ashtray is attached to the front of the console and will come with. Am I not understanding the question? Is the LS different than the 91-93 model that I am familiar with? I'm assuming your working on a LS since that's in your sig, now that I have looked.
Charles

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cigar lighter problem

Hi ChazzyD,

The Service Manual says to remove the lighter and disconnect its wiring in removing the console. I have disconnected everything else, including the two rear screws, and the console is loose but it won't move back more than 1/4" or so and it feels like it is still attached to something more substantial than the lighter wiring. One of the diagrams in the service manual shows a special type of plier inserted into the cigar lighter, but it doesn't say what to do after inserting it.

Tim

·
Registered
821 Posts
Neither of my cigar lighters are working. Front one was, but recently stopped working.
I use it to plug in my GPS device.
Fuse is OK. Trying to remove lighter from front location to test electrical connection.
What is the "appropriate tool" referenced in the CarDisc (40-31 of Mechanical Shop Manual)? Do I really need one?
Will I need to remove the console?

Car is a 1991 164L Auto

·
Registered
220 Posts
there are two screws holding the console under the shifter you can get to by removing the carpeted side skirts....these screws are not mentioned in the manual

I cut my cigarette lighter wires (3) under the radio such that I could get to both ends and maretted in about 6 inches of extra wire. Lots of people ruin the cigartte lighter plastic holder trying to get it out. Now I can remove the console without touching the lighter hardware

·
Registered
821 Posts
Many thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts