Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Short video of removing the cylinder head studs in a 1600 block. I got all but 2 out without breaking off. I tilted the block and let penetrant sit around the studs overnight. Then used a held held propane torch to heat the outside of the block were the stud threads would be located. I heated it until the metal around the stud inside the block was to hot to touch. This also let the penetrant seep down the threads. Got 2 out with a 1/2 inch impact. Then I had to borrow a 1 inch impact gun from the local big tire shop. That took the rest of them out. 2 studs broke off. They were the 2 that had almost no corrosion damage at the bottom of the stud. Go figure. Some of the ones that came out had about a 1/4 of the diameter eaten away.

The block is now at a EDM place to remove the 2 broken off studs. They did break off flush with the block.

Reactions: pennzo

·
Premium Member
24,111 Posts
EDM in California is very expensive (along with everything else). Was it affordable?
For a typical engine, like a Bosch or Spica 2000, unless you really want to keep your block number, around here folks just find another block as much more economical. For a GTA, 6C 2500, SS, 750 Veloce, yes, it would be worth it.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with you. It it was a 2 liter block 1972 on much cheaper to just find a block. But all the other sizes are getting hard to find good ones. No pitting were the liner sits etc.

EDM here is not cheap either. I haven't gotten a estimate yet. Probably in the 500.00 range. Which is minimum of what another 1600 block would cost. Not counting what I paid for this one which was a mostly complete motor.

Its a correct 1600 with the right block and production numbers for the Super I got from you and the liner seats have no pitting in them. Every other block I've looked at has been at least 500.00 and had pitted liner seats and one or more messed up studs. So I figured just bite the bullet and put head studs in it.

The funny part is the 2 that broke were the ones that had almost no corrosion damage to them.

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I got the estimate to EDM out the 2 broken stud. It turns out it must be fairly easy for them to do. The charge is 350.00 which is their minimum shop fee. Should have it back in 2 or 3 weeks. Since there a really big manufacturing outfit using EDM's. But the owner and the shop manger are gear heads. So they were very receptive to to doing it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Jim, where did you purchase the new studs? What is your procedure for installing them? Images? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got them form Alfaholic's. They were about the same as Classic Alfa. But since I was ordering a set of rims. They could put them in the box with the rims.

As far as installing them. The EDM place just finished getting the 2 that broke out. They pretty much kicked there a$$ because of the material they were made out of. But they did threads were saved and I pick it up next week. So now wanting to hear what the new cost is going to be.

As far as putting them in. Not sure yet. I know I will chase the hole. Then install them and mesure to make sure they are the right height. If it goes in to far. I'll use some type of glue are loctite to hold it in place.

·
2,400 Posts
A friend of mine takes out broken studs by arc welding a nut on top, and twisting them off before they cool down. Too bad you're so far away, he would have done them for $20.

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A friend of mine takes out broken studs by arc welding a nut on top, and twisting them off before they cool down. Too bad you're so far away, he would have done them for $20.
I doubt it on these. The one broke flush with the block and the other a little below the surface. The EDM place broke 3 or 4 easy outs. They finally got it out when they burned the hole within a couple of thousandths from the aluminum threads.

I do what your friend does. But there really isn't much room for error down there.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I got them form Alfaholic's. They were about the same as Classic Alfa. But since I was ordering a set of rims. They could put them in the box with the rims.

As far as installing them. The EDM place just finished getting the 2 that broke out. They pretty much kicked there a$$ because of the material they were made out of. But they did threads were saved and I pick it up next week. So now wanting to hear what the new cost is going to be.

I know I will chase the hole. Then install them and measure to make sure they are the right height. If it goes in to far. I'll use some type of glue are loctite to hold it in place.
You might not want to run a tap thru' the holes. You'll likely cut the threads oversize. Most taps are designed to produce free running threads. The studs in the Alfa engine are an interference fit.

Do install the new studs with some type of sealant to prevent corrosion of the threads. 👍

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might not want to run a tap thru' the holes. You'll likely cut the threads oversize. Most taps are designed to produce free running threads. The studs in the Alfa engine are an interference fit.

Do install the new studs with some type of sealant to prevent corrosion of the threads. 👍
I ran a tap down one to clean the threads before taking it to the EDM place. Threaded to new stud in and it went further in then the original did. So unless I have problems getting the right height. I'm not going to do it to the others.

What sealant to you recommend?

·
Premium Member
6,571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I picked up the block today. Ended up costing 570.00 which was about a third of the amount of time they had in it. Still less then what the 1600 blocks seem to be selling for.

After picking it up. I dropped it and all the other parts off at the machine shop.

It looks like I'm trying to bankrupt myself with them.

I had just picked up my 1750 from them and dropped of a chevy/mercruiser 8.1 liter for rebuild.

Reactions: horsewidower
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.