Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I've never heard of anyone trying to pull engine, leaving the transmission in place. You'd have to fuss around with some temp support for the unsupported side of the trans, and the trans would need to be pulled outward to disengage from engine anyway. I'd pull it as one unit, then you can pull trans from engine with easy access to all bolts on a workbench.

Pic I provided was a 12v, the 24v LS will have the wider heads, which I think will mean a slightly tighter fit. Things that need to be removed for access include radiator, AC compressor, alternator, false firewall, etc. Driveshafts need to be disconnected on the inboard sides, but can remain affixed at the hubs.

Pic I provided doesn't capture the right moment of the pull, but plan on the pass side of the engine coming up first, with the trans side trailing. Notice I have 3rd connection cable to end of transmission, to control and adjust tilt as needed. You'll need to have the ABS pump loose, and will need to finesse the brake lines out of the way to clear butt end of transmission. You should be able to wiggle it out just fine.
Alright thanks for the info ill start doing the rest tomorrow and hopefully be done in a couple of days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi, I confirm that the 24v motor is a little more difficult to get out... The whole engine/gearbox has to come out inclined.
The most important point is to have an adjustable strap attached to the gearbox, this way you can adjust the inclination of the whole.

21 - 22 of 22 Posts