Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1991 164S rescue project 4 years ago that I haven't started yet. We, not exactly true I got the motor and steering rack out shortly after I got it.

The story is I bought it 4 years ago with a bad engine. I mean a BAD engine. The oil(?) level was VERY high on the dip stick. Antifreeze and metal particles were behind the throttle plate. I bought it knowing it had skipped the timing belt at 6000rpm and made lots of noise. The car is RED and has less than 100,000 miles. Meanwhile about the same time I had an accident and totaled my Black 164S with 167,000 miles on it. The head on the back one was done at 100,000, but was going through about a quart of oil every 500 miles. The head builder didn't use the valve stem seals I gave him, but something else. I was told the suspension was pretty good on the red car. It sat outside uncovered for a year and covered for a year. For 2 years it's been in my greenhouse(garage/shop).

The time is very near to start working on this car. I just have some wiring issues with the Berlina to sort out first. This won't be a complete restoration, but I'd like to get it running and work on it as I drive it. The engine from the black car will be going in (167,000). How much should I do to it before I put it in? I guess I'm thinking I'd like to get the car drivable and see what the problems are then address them. At the same time I don't like doing things twice, like putting the engine in as is and having to pull it out again. Although, that may not be a bad approach.

How should I approach this? Any thoughts? I've got lots of parts from the wrecked black car.

·
Premium Member
26,822 Posts
I would pull plugs on your original engine, turn over by hand with socket, then spin with starter to get some oil pressure then run a compression test dry and with some WD-40 or oil sprayed in cylinder and compare results.

If things look good at this point I would pull heads and have valve job redone, be sure guides are good and install teflon valve seals, set up cam clearances and install freshened heads before I installed Black S engine in Red S.

I would do oil seals/orings for cam pulleys, change water pump, etc.

How much more would depend on mileage on clutch and coorect input bearing in tranny.

Check motor mounts, steering rack inner/outer tie rods ends and boots rack hydraulic hoses, etc.

·
Registered
8,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Steve. I plan on using the transmission off the red car since I was using Mobil Synthetic ATF in the Black car(not good) and it was getting a little noisy. I'll look at the red car clutch, but will probably put in a new one. Steering rack is new c/w new inner joints. I'll get new outers. Another head job huh :(. Doing the water pump and belts makes sense. The black engine is running a modified hydraulic tensioner. I think I'll keep it and maybe just do the bearing.

I'm also thinking I should do the heater core and blower fan while the engine is out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts