Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , I am trying to mate a 2000 gearbox to my 1308 engine. I know it can be done cos I,ve seen a tipo 3 for sale at le man classic but no one to speak to. also there is one for sale somewhere in Europe. It was a widely used mod for racing cos the 102 box is more robust than the regular 5 speed 1990 box. The main problem is the bellhousing dimensions and the clutch operation.
The le mans classic car appeared to use a 1900 bell housing with standard mechanical operation. I don't want to cut the cross member! Any information would be much appreciated. Almost made it to the end for the Tony Gaze Trophy Race at 72 Members meeting!!!!!!But added a bit of interest.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Something will have to be altered.

So you want a floor shift in a 1900 css? Well, there was a fellow in Eugene, Oregon, who bought a 2600 box with bellhousing from me to put into a series one CSS coupe, but it also required the services of a panel beater (there from New Zealand, but now in California somewhere) to modify the tunnel cover. Worked okay, but the hydralic clutch was not used anyway, so there ought to be a better way.

What most intrigues me is your comment that you somehow think the 102 or 106 box is stronger than the 1900 version. If you are sure of that, then I suspect the way to make this work would be to graft (i.e. weld) a small contact face onto the back of the 1900 bellhousing cut from the rear of a 102 or 106 bellhousing so there would be a front seal to the split case box. You would also have to shorten the input shaft (something a good machinist could do quite easily). That way you could use the mechanical clutch arrangement without much trouble.

However, if maybe you merely wish that your 900 box could have a floor shift (but don't want to buy from AFRA the parts and pieces to convert a column shift to a floor shift to end up with one like the picture), then maybe you should consider a "Nardi" modification design available through OKP in Munich. I have one, and the modification entails turning the shift rods 180 degrees so the "dog" fits in from the top instead of the bottom and the apparatus bolts directly onto the top of the box without need of a different tunnel cover arrangement. That way no need to shorten input shaft or drive line problems or anything. (OKP has photos on its website showing this Nardi invention, but I can't find it right now. If you can't find it, write directly via email to [email protected] and I'll run it down for you).

So, are you so absolutely sure a 102 or 106 box is all that much better? Maybe you just had something other than Dentax 90 (or the same identical product from Shell with new name -- see former post on Dentax 90) in your gear box if it failed. Both boxes are very similar and sturdy.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, Thanks for the comprehensive reply. My car is a rare in that it is still used for racing!The main problem with the existing and expensive floor mounted 5speed box, is very poor availability of parts...recently had a new input shaft made, so switching to a 102 should enable me to use 105 internals if necessary. Tunnel mods are the least of my problems.I am not expecting to win anything but the car handles well and always gets a good reception! Thanks for your help ....philip.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
How about a trade?

You have no idea how many people would love to have a genuine floor shift 1900 box!! If you are so sure the split case 102 box would be all that much better for your racing purposes, how about a trade of your floor box for a 102 box with provisions to fit it for use in your 1900? I believe I could modify a 1900 bell housing with just enough of a rear plate "graft" of a 102 bell housing so you could keep the 1900 mounts, normal tunnel and mechanical clutch. The input shaft of the 102 trans would probably need to be shortened

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jay, Thanks for that offer but I think I'll hang onto the original box!! The car is matching numbers and now it's beginning to get valuable so I thought I might rest the original gearbox to preserve it. It has a history of racing in Italy in the 80s & 90s under the scuderia del portello banner. My son does the driving and I'm left to do the maintenance which has proved something of a challenge. We are nearly 5 yrs in, and the serpent mistress is taking control! I do have a1900 bellhousing and a 102 box so i guess its all about making a suitable adaptor .
Thanks for you help.
philip

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Alternate idea

Good decision, Phillip, and good luck. But you might decide to not reinvent the wheel. If, perchance, you might have another transmission for the 1900 of the column shift type, then to save your precious 1900 floor box, why not use the other box with the floor shifter invention of that genius named Nardi? You certainly can view it on the internet in the catalog of OKP in Munich, or call Christian there:
E-mail: [email protected]
Phone: +49 (0) 89 / 322 118 0
Fax: +49 (0) 89 / 322 118 141
Post a photo of the car for our edification Jay

1 - 6 of 6 Posts