Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "joystick" style power mirror switch on my 89 Spider was broken when I bought the car, but now it's also causing a parasitic battery drain. I want to just remove it. The shop manual simply says "slide the switch out and disconnect the wiring". But for the life of me I can't figure out where the other end of the cable terminates. So I don't know if or which console components I have to disassemble. And that is something I am not looking forward to, I really hate messing with interior trim.

Any idea where to find the other end of this cable?

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
read through this thread...I also posted (post #10) on there a pdf of the insides of that switch and how to clean it.
Power Mirror Glass Removal

The switch has a connector block you need to find and unplug.
mirror switch.jpg

I think you just remove that piece of fascia where the ashtray sits and try to follow the cable to the connector block. How far inside there it is hidden I don't know...others with an S3 might chime in. It might be you do not need to remove any more of the console...but I do not know for sure.

So: pull out ashtray, and look inside there at the top is a screw you need to loosen....push out those 3 big square switches from behind and disconnect the coloured plugs.
As for the toggle switch you first need to carefully pry off the left/right toggle with a plastic tool, then you can unscrew the knurled nut and the switch comes loose....post #16 in that thread

·
Registered
525 Posts
I seem to remember that you may have to remove the left side panel of the console, no big deal. On my 86 Spider after about 30 years of ownership, the digital clock started causing a large(r) draw than usual. I simply unplugged it and now it is much better. There was no visible sign, or reason for this, but that was the problem!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts