Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I go again...:rolleyes:

After installing my wiper motor, I was unsure about how to hook it up.

I have two wires (I made a replacement harness using the old one as a pattern) to hook up, but several places to put them.

Also, I am not clear on what to do with the red wire.

The manuals that I have don't help with this question, so I am submitting it to the Alfa Nation...

Jon

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Here is how it should hook up.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Oooooopppppp s try this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Patrick,

It is a Lucas circuit breaker that protects the wiper motor in the event of an overload. Somewhere I have the part number, and I once contacted Moss Motors to see if they had them available, but they had never heard of that part.

When installing the wiper motor, it is important to properly install the insulators that keep the motor from being grounded. The switch is a ground switch, and if the insulators are not properly installed, the motor cannot be turned off. The insulators are available from Moss Motors.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
insulators?

Patrick,

It is a Lucas circuit breaker that protects the wiper motor in the event of an overload. Somewhere I have the part number, and I once contacted Moss Motors to see if they had them available, but they had never heard of that part.

When installing the wiper motor, it is important to properly install the insulators that keep the motor from being grounded. The switch is a ground switch, and if the insulators are not properly installed, the motor cannot be turned off. The insulators are available from Moss Motors.
By Insulators, do you mean the 3 rubber grommets that the motor mounts on? If so, yes, a kit of all 3 with posts and nuts is available at Moss for $8 or something.

Jon

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Anybody know what kind of breaker that is, and where to get one? I need one. Thanks.
Any 30 amp self setting breaker (two prong) from any good automotive parts supplier will work. It's function is to act as a circuit breaker in the event the wipers can't move, i.e. snow or frozen to windshield. The breaker will then reset automatically after it cools.

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Patrick,

Bob, actually the insulators don't electrically insulate anything. The insulator consists of a double ended threaded metal post that goes through the rubber grommets and washers in the kit. So basically it's just a bolt with rubber spacers. Besides, the motor works with a separate power and a ground wire.

The insulators are to insulate vibration from the unit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oooooopppppp s try this.
Hi there,

I'm busy restoring a 750 spider and the old wiring has a ground running from terminal 3 on the diagram you posted. I'm now assuming this is the reason the wipers stay on constantly when I connect the battery? Can anyone confirm this?

I need the remove the ground from terminal 3 and that should solve the problem?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
I believe #3 is ground to the body of the aluminum motor case. Remove any wires that are not hooked up as in the diagram I attached and all should be fine. Notice the black wire coming from the parking mechanism to the motor. This is the (park) mechanical activated ground. The other ground is electrically activated by the switch when you turn on the wipers. When you turn off the switch the ground continues until the mechanical activated ground breaks the ground in the park position.

Hope this helps,

Happy New year,

George

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Here is how it should hook up.
I was told by George Dolak my illustration above is incorrect. It's the way I have mine hooked up and it seems to work perfectly. Here is the one George sent me. I don't have time to revisit the subject now as I am out of the country. You decide.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
George D is correct, the ground should be hooked up. Normally the case is marked "E" where you hook up the ground. If there is no ground wire hooked up, the motor is left to find it's own ground, (likely the Stoddard tube to the wiper transmissions on the cowl).

Many if not most of the electrical issues on Giuliettas are ground related, especially on newly painted bodies. I usually don't tempt fate and run separate grounds to Head Lights, Instruments, turn signals etc.

My two cents.
Bill Gillham
Jefferson Oregon

·
Super Moderator
11,375 Posts
One must also bear in mind the manufacturer, Lucas. Always a bit unusual to the uninitiated.

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I had to take photos of how to reconnect a SS Marelli wiper motor. I believe that most of the Alfas except for the very early 750 cars use the Lucas wiper motors and of course the SS and SZ use the Marelli wiper motors.

·
Premium Member
544 Posts
Carl,
Perfect!
The SS I am working on has a handfull of cobbled wires and extra switches with no clue about what they do. I can chase this down now.
Ciao,
Bill Gillham

1 - 20 of 20 Posts