Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 60 of 310 Posts

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
You and that little gem have been through it Gubi. Guess what I found on the floor.....brake fluid. :mad: I haven't exactly figured out where its coming from, but the bottom of the barrel of the master is barely wet. Its always a little something. Remember all that polishing I did?.....well finally got sick of keeping up with it, pulled the wheels, and they are on their way to sunny Newbury Park, California for a little R & R so to speak. :D I am looking forward to retiring the buffer for awhile!

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
702 Posts
John M said:
Woo Hoo! Another success. That airbag light is simple to fix. Get the code. I bet its 26. :D A good task to accomplish prior to resetting the airbag light is to loosen the screws securing the impact sensors and retighten. Probably the majority of airbag light flashing senarios come from improper grounding of the sensor. And the sensor appears to be grounded through those screws. Also good to visualize the wires from the sensors to the harness. Gubi.....didn't you find chaffed wiring?

Best Regards,
John M

John,

As I have only had the car a couple of weeks and haven't forked over the $140 yet for a manual, could you give me a hint at to where this impact sensor is located? Also, when you say "get the code" do you mean via the diagnostic connector to a code reader (which I don't have of course) and if so what kind of reader would you recommend.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,083 Posts
Brad,

No code reader needed. See my link a few posts up for the procedure.

Front sensors are two silver boxes about 1x1x2. They are mounted to the top metal frame crossbar in front of the engine. Each one is bolted down with two secure torx screws (star shaped hole with a pin in the middle) and has a three-wire cable and connector coming off of it.

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Hey, Brad,

you and I ought to do this together this weekend. The wife's 164L has an airbag error and I've been looking for the sensor wire connector. Patchin says it's at the right end of the dash, but I haven't taken the small panel off to look for it. The early '90s Spiders and 164s supposedly have the same airbag controller and codes. I have the cardisk with the airbag procedures and video demo, and you're welcome to borrow it. It uses a Spider as the demo car, by the way.

Michael

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Did I ever tell you guys that the first time I reset the airbag light,....the dam thing went..

BAM! :D

Just kidding guys. :D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I did not find that the airbag exploding facilitated a perceived operational improvement of the rev counting device. However, I did find some well placed impacts of human balled flesh upon a specific location on the dash pod did enhance peace and harmony and relaxation.....and this effect is exacerbated through the simultaneous release of a few choice well thought out words not typically heard at the national spelling bee. :D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
702 Posts
MrT said:
Hey, Brad,

you and I ought to do this together this weekend. The wife's 164L has an airbag error and I've been looking for the sensor wire connector. Patchin says it's at the right end of the dash, but I haven't taken the small panel off to look for it. The early '90s Spiders and 164s supposedly have the same airbag controller and codes. I have the cardisk with the airbag procedures and video demo, and you're welcome to borrow it. It uses a Spider as the demo car, by the way.

Michael
Michael,

Just sat down on the computer for the first time today. We spent the afternoon at the cart track with Rick, Andy, Tom, Skip, et al. What a blast! Fangio I'm not, but it was great fun. If you want to get together tomorrow give me a call. I'll email U.

·
Registered
99 Posts
More questions about speedo tach on a 89 Quad

Hi John and all

Still working on the speedo and Tach.

At the fire wall drivers side there is a metal box that the speedo cable goes into on the top a couple of wires come out. My question is this a signal enhancer that effects both the tach and speedo? I have a buddy in Toronto who has had similar problems and replaced this and it has fixed the problem

Barry

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Sorry about the hijack.

I still have this problem, too. I thought the sender in the engine compartment would have put out a single pulse train, and the speedo would count the rate and the odo would count the total, using the same input wires. This may not be correct, and your friend's experience may show that it is not correct. Thanks for the pointer.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Hey Barry:

That's the pulse generator for the speedometer. It won't help your tach. But could be the piece needed to get your speedo going. With both of yours being out Barry, you need to look real hard at the wiring and especially the fuses in the fuse box. Check them with a multimeter. Check the grounds with a multimeter. Too coincidental...and makes me think fuse...common wiring problem.

Some thinking out loud:

Anyone know how to check and see if that pulse gen is working? I am thinking chuck up the drive cable in a drill and spin the cable in the pulse gen and see if it starts working. Could be that the drive cable running from the tranny to the pulse gen has rounded off its ends and not spinning. On reading the signal from the pulse gen....one should be able to connect with a digital multimeter set on tach read out and see if its working.

On the odometer not working....my thoughts are assumptions. We know that there was a bunch of these S4 spiders with the monopods that got new speedo/odo's due to speedo head failures. Like Michael said....speedo gets one signal driving both the speedo and odometer. If this failure is happening, my advice would be to pull it and send her off to Palo Alto Speedo repair. People have given testimony that they can repair them for a couple hundred dollars.

Their link:

http://www.paspeedo.com/

My bet on the odometer failure is that its a popped/fried some-kind-of-dohickie on the circuit board. I guess one could pull the head unit and ohm meter each of the components on the circuit board as well as ohm the path.

How do you guys like that good ole boys red neck fix'n! :D

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
99 Posts
Speedo tach

My odometer works

I get slight and I mean a tiny slight movement from the tach and speedo but nothing else If the only common link is power I will look at the fuses again. What fuse is it and what is the common problem around the fuses loose wire? Sorry John I have never used a multimeter and do not know how to check the grounds. I am a novice and just learning.

Thanks for all your help

Barry

·
Registered
99 Posts
power source to tack and speedo

Hi There again.

I am now convinced my problem is a power problem. my one and only question is what fuse does the speedo and tach run on. Boy I hope it'sthe same one.

Barry

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
In an '86 Graduate (I know this one) a drill bit with a Robertson (square) drive bit to run the speedo sender, you should get about 30 mph indicated at full speed on a standard variable speed drill. Oh wait. That's from my timing of the odometer reading when the speedo didn't and the odo did. Should still be OK, though. Now I have the inverse problem. But our tach works just fine.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Hey Barry:

I don't have anything listed on the tach power.....but my bet is that its the same fuse as speedo.....#7. But don't just check that one....check them all.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
7 Posts
Worked like a charm....

I followed John M's step-by-step instructions, and got both odo and speedo working just fine. took the opportunity to replace a couple of light bulbs too, while I was poking around in there...

Thanks John for the detailing the procedure in such a way that even a tech-dummy could do it...

regards,
Ketil.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Great! Glad to hear it worked out Ketil.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Ketil,

What were your symptoms? Did one but not both of the speedometer / odometer pair work? If both were dead before, then a common power connection or pulse train input signal might have been missing. I'm interested in conditions when one works and not the other. The tachometer is an entirely separate item, fed from ignition pulses or similar source, nothing to do with the speedo drive, as the tranny would be a variable multiplier between the two pulse rates.

Michael

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
It is not you..... :D

The plastic harness plugs have a little plastic retainer arm that you must depress while you disconnect the harness plugs x 4 from the cluster sockets. Located in the middle of the base of the plug.

Best Regards,
John M

41 - 60 of 310 Posts