Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My manual transmission seeps a bit of oil. I haven't taken the time to diagnose the source but meanwhile the dipstick tells me she could use some topping up. Long ago I did this by drizzling ATF through a plastic tube threaded to the dipstick hole. An awkward operation. However, I seem to recall, as per this forum, that there is a more accessible place for filling the tranny. Can anyone fill me in?

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Manual, or automatic? B/L, or S

·
Registered
197 Posts
theres a big plug bolt on the top front of the gearbox, just infront of the slave cylinder i believe..

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
theres a big plug bolt on the top front of the gearbox, just infront of the slave cylinder i believe..
Yep and depending on year either an allen head plug about less than 12mm (earlier models) or a 17mm hex head plug with copper crush washer.

Use a long flex tube sort of like one for filling A/T domestic models through dip stick tube or even smaller.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Awkward is having to take the left wheel out on the ZX and pouring the oil through a little hole in the arch liner.

My brother had a seeping oil issue a few years ago (on the diesel ZX) and fixed it with an additive I can't remember the name. I heard of one of those products from Scotty Kilmer, you might want to give it a try.

·
1991 164L
27,635 Posts
Awkward is having to take the left wheel out on the ZX and pouring the oil through a little hole in the arch liner.

My brother had a seeping oil issue a few years ago (on the diesel ZX) and fixed it with an additive I can't remember the name. I heard of one of those products from Scotty Kilmer, you might want to give it a try.
Listen guys you don't have to do that. Located allen head or hex head plug near clutch arm pivot point in front of tranny and fill it there. If 94-95 model there is a switch in the fill hole see pix in post 6 in this thread for location of allen/hex/sender fill port:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/46341-gearbox-differential-fluid-change.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts