Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a good trick to changing the rear fuel filter without taking a bath in fuel? It was easy when I installed it as there was no gas in the tank, however unless I run it out of gas, it seems like it will all drain out on me while I try to replace the filter. Its due, and I don't really wish to take a bath in 91 octane. I'm guessing drive up on a set of ramps with the tank low on fuel so the pickup is hopefully above the level and then work fast.

Thanks,
Will

·
Registered
512 Posts
vice grips

I just changed that filter on the 69. I use a pair of vice grips with wood on the jaws to be nice to the rubber hose, adjust the grips to just close enough to stop the flow and VOILA.... do the deed and release and no worries about becoming a human torch. ))
Davo

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Easiest thing to do is get a section of either 12mm (correct size replacement hose BTW) or 1/2" fuel line and plug it. Take your old hose off and fit it on the tank. You'll spill just a bit which you should catch in a pan. Then you can work on your filter replacement at you leisure.

See the 2nd photo in my posting
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/showthread.php?t=46666

If you have old hoses (which should be replaced) and you vice grip them, they will probably get stressed and crack.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
There is a tool for this. It's like the vice idea. They are plastic pincher things. They are not expensive either. I found them at Kragens or Pep Boys, I can't remember which. I've done it a few times, for fuel pumps too, so I bought a set. I actually double pinched the inlet to the filter to be sure. The outlet to the filter does have some gas, but not a tankful under gravity.

If you don't want to buy the tool, the vice grip is the thing to do. The needle nose vice grips would work nicely.

·
Premium Member
21,386 Posts
What I use is the plastic plug that used to come on the ends of the new filters, which you remove before installation. They fit perfectly on the fitting at the bottom of the tank. Pull the hose off gently, have the plug right there, and snap it into place. A little gas will come out since it's pressurized by gravity, but once you get experienced, not much. Some gas will run out of the filter and hose, so have a bowl or tray or something to catch it. But it's not a lot.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Does anyone have a good trick to changing the rear fuel filter without taking a bath in fuel? It was easy when I installed it as there was no gas in the tank, however unless I run it out of gas, it seems like it will all drain out on me while I try to replace the filter. Its due, and I don't really wish to take a bath in 91 octane. I'm guessing drive up on a set of ramps with the tank low on fuel so the pickup is hopefully above the level and then work fast.

Thanks,
Will
Do yourself a favor, get two of these:

http://www.autobarn.net/xxxw-kd-3791.html

Clamp one upstream, one downstream. Very gentle on the fuel lines.

bs

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pinching off the hose is the obvious answer to the question. I don't know why I didn't think of that. I need to quit making things hard for myself.

Will

1 - 7 of 7 Posts