Alfa Romeo Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
would advise you remove this plug and check diameter and thread -- then order a couple from belmetric or wherever. The drain plugs I show are all various types from Alfas-- including differential and trans and motor

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
I had problems seating the oil canister and then found out when I spun the can before tightening the bolt the oil did not leak. I always replaced the oil can gasket and drain pan gasket. I know that you can soften a used copper gasket but, I always have many extra gaskets. I also purchased forty oil filter gaskets. I do not raise the car to change the oil but, I wish I could have a two post car lift in my garage. I replaced the original oil pan plug with a new hex headed magnetic oil plug. I do not drive my 101 Sprint Veloce very much less than 25 miles per year and will change the oil soon.

·
Super Moderator
11,210 Posts
Thanks goats! That's what we all needed to see.

·
Super Moderator
11,210 Posts
Uncle, NOTHING Alfa is ever as simple as it seems. But you know that!

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
Tbigs.. I have 4 solutions. I expect the plug you have is a 27 mm that is near impossible to fit a socket on in your situation... probably not intended for a steel pan application because of the inaccessibility.

So the proper one was probably the 22 mm one in the photos which I would go with. The other options are the Lancia plug sold by Lancia Spares in PA ( this one is buggered and came out of my Fulvia and probably a FIAT part too) or the Allen type with no magnet. I have every reason to believe the ones I have, 22 mm, were out of steel pans and would be the ticket. I have copper washer.. Let me know and I'll send with a bill for few thousand zlotys or a few Tony Packos hot dogs.. goats has the same selection in his photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Fantastic, thank you goats! Just what I was looking for. I will measure our plug as you advised (may swap next time, to avoid driving season down time), but have you tried this particular size plug? Centerline, Classic Alfa, etc. don't give dimensions so I can't compare until we do the oil change.

Just goes to prove the old adage, no goats no glory!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
oh yeah they all fit on 1750 and 2L pans, but not sure about yours. That's why I suggest measuring ; my guess is that 22 x 1.5 is correct for your pan too.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Tbigs.. I have 4 solutions. I expect the plug you have is a 27 mm that is near impossible to fit a socket on in your situation... probably not intended for a steel pan application because of the inaccessibility.

So the proper one was probably the 22 mm one in the photos which I would go with. The other options are the Lancia plug sold by Lancia Spares in PA ( this one is buggered and came out of my Fulvia and probably a FIAT part too) or the Allen type with no magnet. I have every reason to believe the ones I have, 22 mm, were out of steel pans and would be the ticket. I have copper washer.. Let me know and I'll send with a bill for few thousand zlotys or a few Tony Packos hot dogs.. goats has the same selection in his photos.
There is definitely no room for a socket. I just tried a 10 mm Allen key and there was just enough clearance to get it in straight and turn it, so that solution is looking promising (Belmetric). The 22 mm plug could be a good alternative. I wish I could deliver some Tony Packos hot dogs to Pittsburgh this weekend, but Wapakoneta wins out this year. There is always a thick stack of crisp three and a half dollar bills, fresh off the presses, no kidding!

·
Registered
7,339 Posts
There is definitely no room for a socket. I just tried a 10 mm Allen key and there was just enough clearance to get it in straight and turn it, so that solution is looking promising (Belmetric). The 22 mm plug could be a good alternative. I wish I could deliver some Tony Packos hot dogs to Pittsburgh this weekend, but Wapakoneta wins out this year. There is always a thick stack of crisp three and a half dollar bills, fresh off the presses, no kidding!
My wife is from Ridgeway.. You have to make a side trip to BRIM's Used car dealer in Kenton and get the whole tour..it's wide open. If you like motorcycles, bicycles, fereign cars, scooters etc. from 1900-on there are three buildings down town. Like 600 of them... full of stuff that would melt a calculator in value. Tom Brim is the owner and the doors are wide open ... Tell him the Wadkins Farm boys, Brian and Mark are my nephews and Mark took me through two weeks ago. I never knew about this stash until Mark invited me to go look.. Mind numbing if you like toys. Everything is open to offers. I do have REAL nephews.. Uncle

·
Registered
52 Posts
My wife is from Ridgeway.. You have to make a side trip to BRIM's Used car dealer in Kenton and get the whole tour..it's wide open. If you like motorcycles, bicycles, fereign cars, scooters etc. from 1900-on there are three buildings down town. Like 600 of them... full of stuff that would melt a calculator in value. Tom Brim is the owner and the doors are wide open ... Tell him the Wadkins Farm boys, Brian and Mark are my nephews and Mark took me through two weeks ago. I never knew about this stash until Mark invited me to go look.. Mind numbing if you like toys. Everything is open to offers. I do have REAL nephews.. Uncle
Thanks for the tip! I'm down that way often enough that I will make sure to visit. Sounds like a nice hidden jewel, the kind that hardly exist anymore.

As for my dad's car, I spent some time on the phone and visiting auto parts stores trying to source the part locally so I could get it done before I leave in a few days, but no luck. I also spent some time talking to Centerline today and learned that the differential and gearbox plugs are the same size as the oil drain plug, so I ordered their part #OP622B, which looks brass, uses a 12mm Allen key, and has a magnet. There aren't as many threads, but it should be enough. The plan is to swap out the plug when the oil is done, which hopefully will solve this issue. It will arrive when I'm back in Toledo, so I won't be able to report back first hand, but I will try to remember to post the results.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their wisdom, it is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
52 Posts
...I won't be able to report back first hand, but I will try to remember to post the results.

Thanks to everyone who contributed their wisdom, it is greatly appreciated!
The oil change and drain plug swap was successfully done last weekend, my dad just told me. The cross member was partially unbolted and swung out of the way to get it done. No issues getting it back together. Afterward, the only oil leak was from the filler cap, which was corrected. Thanks again to everyone who helped us out so much!

41 - 53 of 53 Posts