Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone can tell me how to straighten the steering wheel on a Duetto. I remember long ago I had my 1969 spider aligned and the mechanic loosened a bolt near or on the steering column and easily turned the steering wheel to the straight position. Here's the thing...my steering wheel is 180 degrees off center, not just a little bit. It's basically upside down when driving straight ahead! Now, if the steering column were splined, this would be an easy fix, but since it's keyed with a woodruff key, I am thinking there must be a way to set the steering wheel. My car was restored in England, when the steering box was rebuilt, if that means anything to anyone. Any advice is highly appreciated in advance!

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Well there's your problem....
It's set up to drive on the other side of the road ;^)
Jus kidd'n !
There have been quite a few threads on alighning the steering on 105s and a search of the BB will bring up the exact MO.
Very important that the factory proceedure is followed here.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I've tried to search for the thread(s), but I can't find anything. What are the proper search terms? Even better, can someone help me with a link, please?

I actually thought it might be a RHD steering box mounted upside down on the LHD side, which would put the steering wheel upside down. Scary thought.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
I'm not up on how to list it here, but I did a quick search on the Suspension section . Listed "wheel alignment" in the search window and came up with a thread showing the details. A chart from the Centerline website was shown with a picture and description of the proceedure.

·
Super Moderator
11,531 Posts
I actually thought it might be a RHD steering box mounted upside down on the LHD side, which would put the steering wheel upside down. Scary thought.
No that's not possible - the LHD and RHD boxes are not interchangable.

What kind of a wheel do you have? The stock wheels can only go on one way - as you observed, they have a key. But if you have a Nardi or Momo wheel, then it is mounted to a hub. The hub has the same single key so it can only go on the column one way - but it also has six evenly-spaced holes that the wheel bolts to. So, the wheel can get bolted to the hub at any one of six angles - including 180 off.

If you do have a stock steering wheel, then the lengths of the tie rods could be off. Or the pitman arm could be a spline or two off where it mounts to the box. An alignment shop should be able to diagnose and correct either cause.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi. I have the stock black bakelite steering wheel! Glad to know it isn't possible to give my steering a British accent! That would not work well on an Italian car in the US. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts