Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This book was recommended by Jim Steck in a post a few weeks ago.
It is a large format book with 144 pages with many illustrations. It covers just about every contributor to engine performance and much (but not all) of it is applicable to Alfa engines. I do not port heads and manifolds or design cams - I pay experts to do that, but it is interesting to see how they arrived at their solutions. The chapters on ignitions and exhaust systems are easy to apply to our motors and the explanation of how emulsion tubes work is the clearest that I have read.
Compared with Jim Kartamalakis's books this is more detailed but less specific and the two books are complimentary.
The book is available new from many sources and lists at $29.95.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
It's an excellent book. David Vizard is the author of several books that are worth reading and reading again. David has knowledge of small displacement engines, given his UK heritage. However, his focus has been American V8s for quite some time. Nevertheless, the theory works regardless of displacement and country of origin.

I prefer Harold Bettes book on airflow, over David's, but they are both good.

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I first encountered Vizard in the early '70's when he was writing in UK's Cars and Car Conversions. Although he was doing pretty sophisticated stuff, there was always a home-shop element to his writing. Then a little later I discovered his "Theory And Practice Of Cylinder Head Modification" which, IMHO, is still one of the best practical discussions of cylinder head porting. Sadly, it's long out of print. Good technical writing is a very specialized skill and, IMHO, when it comes to explaining how internal engines go fast, David Vizard is one of the very best in the business. Since his theory and practice book I've tried to read just about everything he's ever published. I think it was in How To Build Power that he first introduced me to MSD ignitions (which I used to solve a preignition problem on my high-comp Alfetta motor).. He's such a good writer that almost all of his books, regardless of what they discuss, has interesting stuff in them. One of his best and most informative books is 'Tuning BMC A Series Engines" which at over 500 pages is as much a general primer on Vizard's theories of engine building for performance as it is an instruction A series engine mods. Aside from Theory And Practice, of all his books I found this along with "How to Build Power" to be his best work. If you're interested in knowing more about what it takes to build a faster Alfa engine, Vizard's books along with JimK's books are essential reads.

·
Registered
1978 Spider 1984 Spider
351 Posts
I bought that book over 30 years ago. He is spot on about making HP. obviously written for American V8s but the principles apply to all engines

·
Premium Member
14,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think that it has been updated a few times since your edition:)

·
Registered
1978 Spider 1984 Spider
351 Posts
Yeah but I dig the 70's hair do and fashion of my old edition...or is it the same old photos in the new edition? lol

And what's with all the Chinese posts? I haven't clicked but looks like a spam bot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts