Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone know how to bend the trim that surrounds the wood trim on the console and the wood on the dash of a GTV?

Thanks! John

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the same question. I'm restoring my GTV-2000 console and purchased replacement wood veneer panels and silver trim from Classic Alfa--but the trim won't properly bend around the curved corners. Want to keep this discussion alive and hoping someone who's done this will respond. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I installed new veneer from CA on my console by simply gently draping it in position and temporarily holding it in position via large paper alligator clips. To be extra careful....you could even place some card stock material between the veneer and the clips first. Leave the veneer in position like that for as long a time as possible so that it sets and conforms to the shape......how long is arbitrary...days/weeks? Then go ahead and complete the gage and chrome trim installation which will pull everything down tight to the console.

panell 055.jpg

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe a little heat will help? The new trim that I received looks a bit thicker than the original; I imagine that extra thickness will make it tricky to bend.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I found an earlier ABB web entry where a member created a metal template of the veneer console pieces and then heated the template to a specific temperature while he bended the trim. A bit too elaborate for me.

On another note, I was wondering if either of you used a clear coat on the new veneer e.g., lacquer, shellac, polyurethane, before installing? If so did you use flat or glossy? Your comments appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
....Would anyone know how to bend the trim that surrounds the wood trim on the console and the wood on the dash of a GTV?...
My Bad......I misread your question...it's the trim you're worried about not the veneer and this is for a 2000GTV I gather?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I replaced the veneer in my Nuova Super, I did add veneer to the tray mounted on the console, and trimmed it by cutting 4 appropriate lengths of trim at 45 degrees and just butted the edges together. After contemplating how to make it 1 piece, which seemed like Mission Impossible, I took the path of least resistance, looks pretty good if I do say so myself. Stay well John and everyone else too!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes 1750GT, we were talking about bending the silver trim around the veneer on a GTV 2000 console (see photo above), but it's a similar issue with the 1750. It's really difficult to properly bend and were seeking some tips. Your comments however were appreciated. Thanks and be well all!

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the console veneer in another GTV a few years ago - the trim was OK to reuse. I did not clear coat the trim because as old as the original trim was, it was in decent condition. And, this car would be kept inside so the sun would not age it. I did not know if the clear coat would eventually peel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts