Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Borrowing the photo from a fellow Berlina owner - anyone have an approach that works for the corrosion on the trim that can be seen here and is common on long term stored cars?

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Corrosion

Hello tdskip:

I've had good luck with #0000 steel wool (only #0000!!) on chrome and other shiny bits. No scratches.

Looks like your corrosion may be under the clear coat, however, which is obviously a different situation. Those pits may be permanent.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
agree - except I dip the finest grade steel wool into some chrome/alloy polish to help it along.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,573 Posts
You really don't want to use anything abrasive on chrome. Chrome is a very thin layer...if you scratch it you're hosed. You do not actually abrasively polish chrome, you just clean it.

I've had quite good results with Nevr-Dull cotton wadding polish. It's a lot of work, but it'll take off a lot of crap and not damage the chrome. When I need to get more aggressive (or my hands get tired) I've used a rotary polisher with a microfiber bonnet and a polish specifically designed for chrome (I've been using Mother's).

If the chrome is pitted or worn through, not much you can do besides replate.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Tom:

Generally I'd agree with your thoughts on using anything abrasive, but #0000 steel wool is like magic! Accidentally used some #00 on my Nighthawk pipes once and scratched one as soon as I touched it :(.

Nevr-Dull sounds like a good option and I've also used the Mothers (no apostrophe?) Mag and Aluminum polish (by their own admission, "perfect for all metals") you mentioned.

Got a tube of Wenol Metal Politur in the garage that I've forgotten where it came from, and it's a great product as well. Instructions in German, English and french.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
If you are asking about the trim around the glass it's not chrome, it's stainless and can be repolished. It's tough stuff though and takes some work - best done off the car on a polishing wheel with appropriate grades of rouge.

The louvered vent could be aluminum, which could be sanded and polished but it's more likely chrome and would have to be either replaced or re-plated. When chrome plating gets pitted it's done for.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts