Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Can someone tell me how tight the top ball joint nut should be. it has a spring that keeps the top cup in tension. the giulietta workshop has no information.

cheers Ian

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The ball joint is 3 piece, plus has a spring under the nut that puts tension on the top cup, so the squeeze pressure on the ball is controlled by the nut. not sure how tight tight enough is,

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
You pretty much tighten it snug with a crescent wrench or equal...to lock it snug.. then you back it off enough to insert the retaining ring leg that goes on by matching the slits on the nut and A-arm perfectly in line with each other to receive the spring retainer.. It is sort of like the procedure to seat wheel bearings.

·
Administrator
4,288 Posts
You pretty much tighten it snug with a crescent wrench or equal...to lock it snug.. then you back it off enough to insert the retaining ring leg that goes on by matching the slits on the nut and A-arm perfectly in line with each other to receive the spring retainer.. It is sort of like the procedure to seat wheel bearings.
Uncle D&T is spot on as usual !!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, that was the way i was approaching it, thanks all for the feedback.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
Is it the picture or is it me....?? the stem of the upper ball is the weak link. When people drive with a broken limit cable the stem will bend...very common to find this. I have a collection of them.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it the picture or is it me....?? the stem of the upper ball is the weak link. When people drive with a broken limit cable the stem will bend...very common to find this. I have a collection of them.
no its shadowing in the picture, the other one is bent and i'm finding it hard to find a good quality replacement.

Also what grease should i use , i have some of the modern red grease but something about it I don't like

cheers Ian

·
Administrator
4,288 Posts
I use waterproof wheel bearing grease, the stuff for boat trailer bearings. My reasoning is that it's tough enough for wheel bearings and if I do get caught in the rain at least it will resist washing out or emulsifying in the wet

Ciao
Greig

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
When the pain comes in my elbow, its tight enough.

Reactions: ITALCAROZ

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts