Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving last year the large molded hose loosened at the air flow meter, rendering me temporarily unable to get out of my own way. One minute later I tightened it up and off we went. Spent last year checking and rechecking to make sure it did not happen again. So today, after what seems like two months of rain we took our 87 Graduate (Red) out for a ride and I forgot to check. This time it loosened at the plastic manifold on the intake side of the engine. Naturally I had taken the tools out of the trunk so I tightened it with my finger nail and a piece of plastic and drove home very gingerly. Got home and tightened it down, but I am worried about that plastic manifold on the intake side. Do I have to worry about damaging it when tightening?

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
too tight

If I understand correctly, I think there is a metal insert inside the molded plastic intake duct which provides support. Also the clamp if not special is at least narrow so it fits within the ribs on the rubber air duct and is oval shaped with the tightener on one end of the oval.

Is there any kind of oil contamination that makes it more slippery than normal?

Too tight might be if you start to deform the pieces.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The issue you describe is certainly not common... I've owned my '84 since new, and the Spiders in my signature are current cars, and I've never had any issues with clamps lossening... As soon as the clamps are snug, it takes very little to get them tight and the AF hose will not move in any direction.

What type of clamps do you have? The OEM clamps are Romablok. Have a look at Mt. Carmel Spares web site for some excellent pictures that show how they secure and why they don't come loose.

Best regards,

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just checked. Romablok 74 on both ends. I will disassemble tomorrow and check both ends to make sure I don't have anything that might be slippery inside. Photo attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Michael,
I had this problem last year after I did a head gasket job. The "engine side" of the molded hose was installed too far around the plastic vacuum tube. Then when the engine moved right side when pushing gas pedal, the "coil part" of the hose was already stretch and the entire hose detached from the air flow meter.
Hope this help. My English is not as good as I would want but I hope you see my point.

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
Could this be a motor mount issue? If the mounts are not firm, it seems like the hard plastic tube could move enough to pull away from the rest of the duct.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Rich,
It could, at least it doesn't help if motor mounts are bad. Mine were new when it happened.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to all for your input. Both of my motor mounts are also new. Probably less than 300 miles on them. I had no opportunity to fix this today so hopefully tomorrow. On the positive side ( !!! ) - of all the things that will stop a car, this one can be quickly and easily on the side of the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts