Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I noticed a clacking noise behind my head while I was driving. It turns out that the two bolts for the top right near the door were very loose. I tightend them and the clacking seems to have gone away.

They didn't feel like they were going into anything very solid, so I tightened them lightly, about 1/2 turn after making contact. I can't tell if these bolts are going into sheet metal or something more solid. Is there a rule of thumb on how tight is too tight for bolts on a spider?

Thanks,
Ed

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Hmm.

My book doesn't give a torque spec, just 'reassemble in reverse order', however it does show that the two bolts in that area go into what looks like just body tin. It 'may' have a backer, or be heavier material, but it doesn't show here.

My, that was helpful, wasn't it......

·
Premium Member
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Actually you just confirmed everything that I could tell. I have been systematically going through the car and when I can, replacing existing sheet metal bolts with either a bolt with a nut and lock washer or by putting one of those plastic or aluminum fastener on the end of the exist bolt. The car is getting tighter, but isn't where I want it yet.

I found a couple of places where the sheet metal screw was actually cutting into the wire casing. In this case, I used the plastic end cap instead of the alloy one in the photo.

Attachments

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
I went out and got all touchy feely with my own top just to see what was behind those bolts, and felt nothing but body metal.

What is that screw on the cowl/firewall holding anyway?

I don't recall anything spiking down like that on mine in that area, especially with that kind of point on it.

·
Out of the office!
11,656 Posts
A while back I noticed a clacking noise behind my head while I was driving. It turns out that the two bolts for the top right near the door were very loose. I tightend them and the clacking seems to have gone away.

They didn't feel like they were going into anything very solid, so I tightened them lightly, about 1/2 turn after making contact. I can't tell if these bolts are going into sheet metal or something more solid. Is there a rule of thumb on how tight is too tight for bolts on a spider?

Thanks,
Ed
If they are bolts, then they are fastened to a captured nut. The hardness of the fastener, its diameter and thread pitch are what are needed to determine torque. This type of information can be found on the internet or your local fastener supplier. You will also need to know of the specified torque is for wet (oiled) or dry fasteners. Below is a link to a some torque specs:

http://www.engineershandbook.com/Tables/torque1.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts