Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I need to make a small withdraw from the vault of Alfa knowledge. There are a few bits on my car that are obviously not original, or missing. I need a little help figuring out how to make them right.

Pictures included, of course...

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
heater hose grommets at firewall

Here is a shot of where the heater hoses go through the firewall. As you can see, there is nothing protecting the hoses. For sure the firewall would cut the hoses over time, and that would be a mess.

I have seen one picture of grommets in these holes, but I can't find any further information.

Can someone confirm that there should be grommets here? Also, any leads to a source, or a tip on the correct size would be amazingly helpful.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Throttle stop mechanism

Here is a clever bit of work done by the PO. To me, it looks like it is made our of a paper clip and a bit of MIG welding wire. It works for now, but it can't be all that durable.

I don't know what the correct piece should look like. Need help on this one, for sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear body gasket and stainless trim piece.

Here are some pictures of a stainless bit that I had sent from Re-Originals. I have the rubber gasket strip, too. But, the gasket is the easy part--it just presses onto the seam under the bumper.

What I am trying to figureo out is how to attach the stainless end piece. The first couple of pictures shows the location where it should go. There is a small, counter-sunk hole on it. So, I know that a small screw is used to hold it in place.

What I don't know is what the screw goes into (other than the end piece, I mean :rolleyes: ). Does the screw just go into the gasket?

I have also considered that there should be a hole in the seam that the screw should go into. As can be seen in the last picture, there is not hole in the seem of my car. That may just mean that it was filled prior to the paint job.

Come on, guru's, help a newbie like me out!

Thanks to the Alfisti for all the info that you have already put out on the board. I couldn't do without it.

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
battery hold down

The car actually came to me without any battery hold down at all, if you can believe that. The tray was there, but nothing other than gravity keeping the battery in it!

As you can see, I have rigged up a strap, but I want something more proper.

What should a 750 have for this job?

I figure that the tray may not be the correct one. So, info on that would be like gold as well.

Thanks once again,

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
For the heater grommets you need 2 square section ones with the inner dia the same as the hose outer dia (probably 3/4").

750's do not use the small stainless trim parts near the rear bumper.

The battery hold down should be a perimeter frame of ABOUT 1/4-3/8" wide angle iron (about 18 ga sheet metal really).

·
Registered
715 Posts
Jon, For heater hose grommets I use Motormite #42322 or Napa #630-1378 they are a perfect fit. When sliding the heater hose thru, just use a little soapy water to help them slide thru the grommet.

The hand throttle wire is probably a little short, you can remove some of the outer sleeve (if you have slack under the dash) to increase the length of the wire so it can reach to the throttle arm. it should go thru the throttle arm and you can put a cable stop on it.

The stainless steel end caps for the body seam screw into the seam thru the rubber strip from the bottom with a sheet metal screw. Original or not, it looks better.

Wolf Steel has a repro battery tray and holder for $70 on their website.

Dave Brohan in Chicago

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This may not be original... but here's what they look like on a '58 Spider Veloce
Thanks for the pictures! I have ordered the Napa grommets mentioned earlier in this thread, and they should be here on Friday. I will report back on how they fit, and what is involved in installing them.

Jon

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
picture of under-bumper gasket with end piece

Took a picture of the installation of the under-bumber gasket and end piece installed on another car (101 spider).

It appears that there is a small sheet metal screw (stainless) that goes through the end of the gasket and into the seam. It does not look as though the screw goes into the body itself at all.

It looks as though this gasket is not original to 750's, but I am leaning towards installing it anyway. I will give more details on the installation if I do.

Cheers!

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
throttle cable end

I think that I am starting to get how the throttle cable end should look. I was sent this picture by a guy selling one of these cables on ebay.

Does anyone know if this is the correct bit for the end of the cable?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
1750s use the same thing for the hand throttle cable except a hex head bolt is used, not a machine screw. And, at least on the 1750, the cable end needs to be bent a certain way. I'll try to get a pic...

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks!

Pic of a 1750 GTV hand throttle cable.
Thanks, papajam. I need to figure out what that clamp thing is called. I went all through my McMaster-Carr catalog last night and couldn't find anything like it.

Anybody out there know what they are and where to get them?

Thanks again,

Jon

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
Found something at Napa that may work. Control cable wire stop assortment part number BK7311143.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
small update

I was able to get the firewall grommets from NAPA installed.

As advertised, they fit perfectly. The only issue is dealing with coolant. For me, the top hose will leak about a cup of coolant. The lower one will set up a siphon, so I had to quickly pull it through the firewall and lift the end of it to break the siphon. Have a few towel on hand!

Check it out.

Jon

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jon:
Nice job; looks great. Can you do me a favor: I need an image of the entire throttle linkage assembly just to the right of your grommets. I can see the lefthand side of it in your pic above. Mine has some "improvised" parts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts