Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I often get offers from people who want to use my car in a film, but I never take them seriously until recently. How much you charge someone to use your car, per day?

·
Registered
389 Posts
I cant help you with info on how much to charge, but I was talking to a guy yesterday who loaned his restored/hotrodded MGB to a film company as the 'hero' car. Within 30 mins, they decided to do a stunt with it and stuck it under a truck doing major damage. He got some money out of them for it. The morral is make sure you get them to sign a contract before giving them the car and try to find out if the companies involved have a good reputation.
BTW It was a bollywood film being shot in Australia.

·
Administrator
14,037 Posts
Never, unless I was the driver. It's just a film prop to them ... and our level cars are cheap as dirt to a film company so there wouldn't be much caring going on.

Now if I had a collection of 50 classic cars I would treat this subject differently and probably hirer somebody to look after the cars in this situation, etc.
Pete

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
My wife goes to a handsome young gynecologist but nobody touches my Alfa.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You had better ensure that your car insurance wil cover your liability and any property damage when you rent your car...
You can "allow" someone that is of age and licensed, but that all changes when you rent.

Elio

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
There's something to use as a comparitor:
Look at the number of landlords who have thier property outright destroyed by people who have a written contract/agreement/lease but no~one sitting there 24/7 to make sure they actually abide by said contract.

If you or someone you can trust is going to be there the whole time and the only driver is you or that someone you trust it 'might' be a consideration, but under any other scenario they are pretty much gonna do as they **** well please. (remember that Enzo that got trashed while having a non~driving actor 'practice'? That was a quick million~five down the pipes, and it was the director's personal car too, but at least they got video of it.....)

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Maybe they just want to have it for a non driving sceen........some young hot long legged beauty getting it on with the leading star in your car. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Movies

There's a movie that just came out called "Take Me Home Tonight". My restored yellow 1972 Pantera was in it! I was paid $350 per day for 4 days. The car just sat by the front door of the "banker's house". It was never driven by anyone but me. And I only moved it once, about 10 feet, to let a guy with a huge ladder get by. It was fun to watch the movie get made, even though it was a dumb movie. That portion of the film was shot at night, from 8pm to 5am, so I pulled four all-nighters in a row. I was allowed to take photos, but without flash, so none are very good. I do have one with the star, Topher Grace, with his arm around me, and standing in front of the Pantera (big deal). Anybody out there seen the flick yet? -Steve

·
Registered
837 Posts
I guess it depends on the condition of your car. I've had a vehicles in several movies filmed here in New Mexico. The first was a student film "La Otro Ves" which I gladly let them use an' 73 Ford Econoline van. The kids didn't know how to drive a stick, let alone three-on-the-tree, so fortunately, an adult instructor did the driving, although later on, I did some drive-bys for them. We didn't do a contract for this one.

The second film, "A Lonely Place to Die", an independent film, the producer had a four page contract for us to sign, although I don't think that they ever used the van.

The third film, "Love Ranch", the production people actually bought our car, a '1974 Lincoln Continental Mark IV. It was sent to a customizing shop and turned into a Bugazzi. Our car was one of three Mark IVs that they bought, although the first one ran so badly that it was never used, so it was our former car that was in all of the New Mexico scenes. They also used the same Econoline van as a background vehicle. It did make the final cut and can be seen towards the end of the movie. For the van, they paid us for the use of the van, plus costs to get down to the set, a 200-plus mile round trip!

Below are photos of the vehicles including the Mark IV after it was converted to a Bugazzi, along with me in the Bugazzi.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Liability is a big issue. If you loan your car to someone, and they run over a school kid,
your interests are usually protected- other driver is a "permissive driver". unless your policy is a "specified driver"
(some car policies DO restrict to one driver.)
However, if you RENT your car out, there is NO coverage whatsoever. This is considered commercial use, and is material misrepresention (company will recind your policy.
If the driver runs over Brad Pitt on the set, kiss your house, bank account, and future earnings Goodbye!!

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
I was asked for my grey Giulietta as an alternative to Frank Gabrielli's white Giulietta for the film Nine. I seem to recall that they would have flown me to Rome with the car being transported, hotel for two or three nights and a cash figure too. I can't honestly recall precisely what it was, but the contract they gave to check over was very fair and totally indemnified me in the case of anything happening.
In the event they chose a blue car which, of course, is now know as the Nine car and the owner has wonderful photographs of Sophia Loren sitting in his car.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Renting a car to me meant giving it to a stranger to drive on his own for $$$.

Being present and allowing the car to be used as a prop, with no one other than you the owner driving is a totally different kettle of fish.
Elio

·
Registered
14 Posts
Stella,
I was recently offered $750 per day for my 63 Giulia spider. The
Prop director ended up going with someone who had 8 Italian cars.
FYI good luck, from spied her man.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I used to be a motion picture camera assistant. If it were a union crew (they work on motion pictures that are insured and are better trained) and if the car was just being used as a prop, something in the backdrop and is being driven exclusively by you then sure. If it was being driven by someone else or used in a "car rig" where they put it on a trailer and bolt cameras on to it then the odds of it getting dinged are not something you would want to bet pristine paint on. No to anything else.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts