Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It’s been a few years since my last Alfa, and I’ve been offered a ‘79 Alfetta GT by a friend at a good price.
However, once the orange death is cleared away I could likely stick a fist behind each front jacking point.

I can weld and fit a panel, but I’m not what I’d call a pro... The car is otherwise minimally rusty for what it is.

I want the car, but I also want to be humble & not take on too much. I’d also have to dry store it Until my Lancia Scorpion is roadworthy.

hoping for thoughts from those who have repaired these areas, thanks in advance. : )

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
If it's only the jack points at floor, no big deal. If the rot continues into the sills, prepare for more work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I wondered if there were multiple layers of metal folded into that area, or some other such challenging concern. I couldn’t tell for feeling around up there with my hand.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Typically, any rust in that area is just the tip of an iceberg. Jacking points hardy ever rust out all by themselves. However, if you are handy with a welder, sill repair is fairly straightforward.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Rusty around the windows is a big pain. Also rust at the rear of the inner fenders in the engine compartment. Trunk mounted battery box is a pain to fix too. Otherwise, fixing rust in the floors, sills, quarters is no harder than any other car. They can rust a lot before they become unsafe. Front jack points are generally not structural (unless you want to jack there)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts