Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was loud enough that I could hear it at a distance on top of the engine idle roar.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,630 Posts
Transmission rattle at warm idle in an Alfa transaxle car is typically neutral rollover rattle. It's annoying but not actually indicative of any problem and is very common in the transaxle cars.

My Milano had this pretty bad for the ten years I owned the car. Never got worse, never caused any problems.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transmission rattle at warm idle in an Alfa transaxle car is typically neutral rollover rattle. It's annoying but not actually indicative of any problem and is very common in the transaxle cars.

My Milano had this pretty bad for the ten years I owned the car. Never got worse, never caused any problems.

OK. But I have never hear it before. But now it was loud enough to hear it over thr muffler.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
As @Gubi mentions, if this goes away when you depress the clutch pedal (disengage the clutch itself), then it's nothing to worry about, just the loose gears rattling on the shafts.

My '81 does this a lot worse than yours when it is warming up, when the unheated single wire oxygen sensor first begins to affect the fuel mixture.

Reactions: alfaloco

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,630 Posts
OK. But I have never hear it before. But now it was loud enough to hear it over thr muffler.
Well if it started suddenly it could be something else. If it's coming from the transmission, a low idle will make neutral rattle worse (should be 950 +/- 50, use an external tach to verify as the dash shouldn't be trusted). Too little gear oil in the transaxle could also cause problems.

Could also be a loose baffle or something in the exhaust. Or it could be something more serious in the transmission, but there are a lot of other possibilities.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Well if it started suddenly it could be something else. If it's coming from the transmission, a low idle will make neutral rattle worse (should be 950 +/- 50, use an external tach to verify as the dash shouldn't be trusted). Too little gear oil in the transaxle could also cause problems.

Could also be a loose baffle or something in the exhaust. Or it could be something more serious in the transmission, but there are a lot of other possibilities.
I'm more leaned to bad/low transaxle lubricant. Car has 80k ( which means nothing) but I have it for 2 years. I have no idea the state of that lubricant. I don't think it was changed.
Exhaust is solid. And the noise was more deep, near the transaxle.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
We had an instance where the input flange at the rear giubo was loose on the splines. Put the Loctite to the nut and retightened to spec. Case closed.
Neutral rattle is very common on these cars, as was explained. Mike's car does it from time to time, but it's not serious. Might be worthwhile to verify the lube level, though, as you say.

Reactions: Sekal1978

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We had an instance where the input flange at the rear giubo was loose on the splines. Put the Loctite to the nut and retightened to spec. Case closed.
Neutral rattle is very common on these cars, as was explained. Mike's car does it from time to time, but it's not serious. Might be worthwhile to verify the lube level, though, as you say.
Verify level? How do you actually do that? Thought it was just, poor it out and put new one in.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,630 Posts
Verify level? How do you actually do that? Thought it was just, poor it out and put new one in.
With the car level, the gear oil should come up to the bottom of the transaxle fill hole. You put the car up on four jack stands, remove the fill plug, and add gear oil until it starts dripping out.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts

As with most all manual trannys and differentials, the fill plug is the fill level.

Reactions: Sekal1978

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I'm more leaned to bad/low transaxle lubricant. Car has 80k ( which means nothing) but I have it for 2 years. I have no idea the state of that lubricant. I don't think it was changed.
Exhaust is solid. And the noise was more deep, near the transaxle.
I change the transaxle fluid every couple of years. The preferred fluid is Redline 75w90NS, and it can make a big difference as to shift quality.

Redline at Centerline

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So how much should i buy? IS it a surprise like the 9 quarts engine oil? (in my defense my other 2 alfas were the 75 1.6 Trofeo and 2.0 Twin Spark)
Amazon as a warning that this will not fit, lol.
MAnual has it at 5.67 gallons. Is it the same for the Milano Verde differential?

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wait. There is something wrong with this.
If you please open your owners manual to the last page :)

2.57 ltrs is not 5.67 gallons. And what is the 3 for?
Also, according to the manual i should only do 7.1 quarts of engine oil.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Does the sound change when you disengage the clutch?
Jerry, sorry i forgot to answer.
I only noticed yesterday, and did not drive the car at all. I'm fixing headlights and the door cards, so the car is not road going. Maybe this week depending on the time.
And i only started it cause i saw an alarming clue in the engine bay. Rat droppings. got to check some fuses and electrical wiring. Fan, heating or Ac don't work. Everything else looks fine. Radiator fans and thermostat work fine and saw no chewed wires.
A friend Had a Lada Niva that was stopped for a few years. Half of all electrical was gone, as the interior and even some hoses. Car was trashed at the time. Result of a Rat infestation.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Wait. There is something wrong with this.
If you please open your owners manual to the last page :)
View attachment 1680236

2.57 ltrs is not 5.67 gallons. And what is the 3 for?
Also, according to the manual i should only do 7.1 quarts of engine oil.
If you will take the time to look at the link I provided in my post, you will see 3 quarts is correct (#6). I bought 4 quarts just to have a bit extra on hand. Plus information in that post on the hand pump to fill the tranny with.

·
Premium Member
1986 Alfa Romeo GTV6
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I did @alfaloco . but only after i wrote that. Also only now i saw the qts on the manual. Read the top and scrolled down , missing the qts part completely.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I change the transaxle fluid every couple of years. The preferred fluid is Redline 75w90NS, and it can make a big difference as to shift quality.

Redline at Centerline
I used Swepco in my Porsche's for ever and the brand worked great. So i thought if that brand worked that well in a 915 transaxel so should it be right in the nsx. Uh no. After the change I would "nick" 2nd both in and out of gear, not good. Turns out that I was realizing "parasitic loading"or drag, in other words the viscosity of the oil did not let the gears resume to the correct speed to join properly. Mobil 1 30wt fixed the issue.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts