Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
My 1971 Spider 1750 is, I think, running too rich. Getting about 16.5 miles to the gallon on country roads (that is all I drive on anymore - no freeways and no stoplights really, just an occasional stop sign). Lots of black soot out of the tail-pipe on startup and build up around the rim of the pipe too. Maybe a little rough on idle.

But I can't notice any real decrease in performance. I can't decide how much I should be concerned about this and what to do. I moved the car up to Vermont about 1.5 years ago and have thankfully avoided needing a mechanic here - so if I did take it in, it would be my first trip to a new guy - I have somebody I think I like, but have never used, so bringing it in on this issue would be my first visit. Not sure how I feel about that. SPICA was rebuilt 12 years ago.

So, my question is, if I feel like the car is driving fine and I don't mind spending a little extra in gas and dirtying up my garage floor, is this something I really need to address?

Always appreciate all the advice here, thank you.

·
Administrator
14,459 Posts
If really rich, it is very bad for the wear of the cylinder bore as petrol is abrasive. But has to be really rich for this sort of issue.

But surely fixable ...
Pete

·
Registered
253 Posts
Probably worth getting fixed. Your plugs will get sooted up and you will start to lose performance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts