Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering my 2nd 1982 Spider. Paid $2500 for a super clean one in 2003 but had to sell a couple of years ago due to a move. Now I'd like to replace it, but shopping around it looks like I'm going to be paying a lot more. What is a fair price for a 1982 Spider? Straight body, no obvious rust, 63K, newly recovered leather seats, newish top (small tears but structurally sound basically). Strong running engine, no leaks -- fair gear sync.... Paint looks original, with some sun damage to clear coat in spots (but not too bad.) No maintenance/service history unfortunately. I know a car is ultimately worth what someone will pay, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the asking price of $7.5K. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
317 Posts
$4000 as it sits and maybe $6000 if it had a new paint job. For a spider, maintenance records are not so critical. Check the lubricants to make sure they look fresh, no water in the engine oil or oil in the antifreeze, etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If it's any help, I just paid $4600 for an 89 Spider Quad in pretty much the same condition you describe. In looking at 85-89 Spiders in the Carolinas, I did notice that some people are especially proud of the cars they are selling. Prices may just be higher in California. I suggest comparing prices locally through Autotrader, Hemmings, Craigslist, etc. If there are other cars in the area in similar condition for $4K-$6K, make the guy a counteroffer.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,455 Posts
$4000 as it sits and maybe $6000 if it had a new paint job.
Based on recent Craigslist prices I'd probably agree. As an example you could buy this one for $3600:

ALFA SPIDER

Double the miles but half the money, and looks really clean. Paint, interior, and top all look quite good (at least from the pics) so at least you wouldn't need to pay a grand or two for a paint job.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I made the guy an offer of $5500 due to the car needing paint and no service/ownership history (he picked it up at a charity auction.) He came back with $7100 and then $6750. I think I'm going to keep looking. I like the 1982 year -- new style fuel injection but old body style but it seems I will pay about a $1000 premium if I get a 1982-1988 in the SF Bay Area (supply and demand, I guess). Based on your comments and input I think I can do better than this one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just purchased a 91 veloce for $6500 having looked for a year, it needed some work but happy with the purchase. What I found is either the car needs a lot of work and they want about $3-5K or the car looks in good nick exterior and interior and they want $12K+ - crazy. I spoke to one dealer after he'd had a 89 quad on ebay 5 times starting out at $16,500! and eventually after several listings went to $13,500. I called to do a deal but his opinion was that someone with cash will wake up one morning and want an alfa and will pay that price. What can I say supply and demand.

·
Registered
10 Posts
How much do I pay for a new 82 spider

I recently paid $2500 (in Los Angeles) for a spider with rust and body issues that ran so so. Put another $2000 to get it running great (Santo does excellent work - in Northridge). So, I'm into it for $4500, but still has rust and needs body work and seats...so I would say mid 6's seem about right. If you can get a really clean one, that runs great for around 7, it would be a decent deal

1 - 8 of 8 Posts