Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a 74 Spider for sale that overall looks like a good deal but there is this small problem - the rear strut has broken through. What do you guys think? I have no idea how much more cancer is back there.

Thanks!
Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Found a 74 Spider for sale that overall looks like a good deal but there is this small problem - the rear strut has broken through. What do you guys think? I have no idea how much more cancer is back there.

Thanks!
Eric
In my book, that's automatically a parts car. Rust is like roaches. If you see rust, you probably have an infestation. When what you see is a structural problem such as this, I would be forced to assume the car is not structurally sound until the car could be thoroughly disassembled and inspected.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There may a lot more hidden than you can envision,
Im still working on my 72 5 years later and parted out the 77 due to rust

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
Agree with what the others have said - the odds are good that if rust caused the shock mount to break then the rust isn't limited to that mount. However, one further consideration:

That is a Bilstein shock poking through the hole where the mount has broken off. Among the early BMW community, Bilsteins are notorious for breaking shock mounts - for whatever reason, they cause a lot more fatigued mounts than do OE or Koni shocks.

So maybe he brand of shock is at fault and this car isn't a rust bucket. As with any used car purchase, a thorough rust evaluation is called for.

If the rest of the car does check out OK, a competent body shop can fabricate a replacement mount. The R side is probably also cracked and will need attention as well. This area is fairly inaccessible, so some hours will be involved. I can't quote a number, but would expect it to be $500 minimum.

If you do go through all that, ditch the Bilstein shocks!

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
maybe/maybe not

It's possible the shock(not strut) has frozen and pushed through. Get the hulk on a lift and perform an up close inspection

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
It could be that the 'homecoming queen' was muy grande! It would be worth checking it out further like Cab and Jay say:wink2:

I still miss my old '74 spider and first Always Looking For Another!

Mark

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well that sucks but pretty much what we were thinking too. Looking at some other pics of it there is a strong possibility that this is structural rust and lots of it. Right now we have a 79 that has rust in the rockers and lots of dents and dings but structurally sound. This 74 however has a lot of the parts that we're missing, plus good front and rear bumpers and comes with an extra engine and transmission for $1400. But, alas, out of parts car room at this time.
Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts