Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1989 Alfa Spider Graduate, ALL ORIGINAL, 23,000 miles. Car, including engine compartment, is mint as if it just came off new car showroom floor. Expertly maintained by collector. Perhaps good enough to be show winner. Upgraded alloy wheels but original steels included. A/C upgrade, Convertible top boot cover, bra, driving lights, tool kit, all books with manuals. This a Veloce less leather seats and power windows. Is it worth $9,900? I have a chance to buy it. Need your advice.

Attachments

·
Registered
132 Posts
That sounds about right for car of that caliber. It would take at least that to fix up a lesser car to that level and low miles is low miles..

Keep us updated.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,933 Posts
Yeah, that seems like a fair price to me if it's as described.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If the car's as nice as you make it sound, then I think the price is fair. You can get a good Spider right now for about $5,000... but, as mosesbotbol pointed out, it would take a lot more than another five grand to make a good one perfect. The general rule is to buy the very best car you can afford, so, if you can afford this, go for it!

·
Registered
705 Posts
Make the owner an offer YOU feel comfortable with. Negotiate in a pleasant manner. You may just be happily surprised and a new Alfa owner. Good luck!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Make the owner an offer YOU feel comfortable with. Negotiate in a pleasant manner. You may just be happily surprised and a new Alfa owner. Good luck!
+1

Not a lot of buyers out there in this economy and especially this time of year. Make an offer in a respectful way and you may be surprised

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
7 k buys it....:eek::rolleyes:;):):D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Factor in cost of repairs

I would make an offer of $7,000 and see where the seller goes from there. Even with 23,000 miles, the car will likely still need repairs. Also, I think the S4 is a more desirable car and you could probably find a '91 with low mileage for about that price. I just bought an '01 Audi TT with 78K that was extremely well taken care of, and paid $7,800. If it were me, I would not pay over $7,500 for the spider.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I would politely emphasize that this is the "Graduate", not the more desirable Veloce model (roll up windows, etc) and if I were a little sneaky I would have a friend call and offer 6 K, thereby making 7 K look generous.......Not many buyers for little 2 seat Italian sports cars (just being realistic) made by a company that is no longer in business in this country (I will believe it when I see it).....Main thing with any car purchase, or any purchase for that matter, KEEP YOUR EMOTIONS IN CHECK !!!!!!:eek::p;):D:)

·
Registered
705 Posts
We are getting a FIAT dealer here in Bama in a few months! It is a done deal.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Although the same parent company....I think we would all agree that Fiat is not Alfa...and if you listen to Marchionne (sp?), his statements regarding Alfa are as believable as Obamacare......:eek::D;):confused:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Although the same parent company....I think we would all agree that Fiat is not Alfa...and if you listen to Marchionne (sp?), his statements regarding Alfa are as believable as Obamacare......:eek::D;):confused:
Agreed. Am still going to enjoy driving Gina to the Fiat store.:D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Location?

Is that car in Montreal Canada? Specifically in the southshore Brossard region. If so then it's been for sale for more than two years. Same front angle top picture. Never seen the inside before but never went to look at it. If it's the same car I am speaking of then let's just say it's been for sale for that long for a reason. Let's add that it's not really 23K miles. Oh and part of the "original" car belongs to a other "original" car. I guess the seller feels that two original cars makes one.
AGAIN, thats if it's the car in eastern Canada I'm thinking of. If it's not then it sounds fair. See if you can negotiate and come to a mutual happy and fair price to both seller and buyer and this way everyone walks away happy. Well one drives.

Keep us posted.

Max

·
Registered
2 Posts
1989 Alfa Spider Graduate, ALL ORIGINAL, 23,000 miles. Car, including engine compartment, is mint as if it just came off new car showroom floor. Expertly maintained by collector. Perhaps good enough to be show winner. Upgraded alloy wheels but original steels included. A/C upgrade, Convertible top boot cover, bra, driving lights, tool kit, all books with manuals. This a Veloce less leather seats and power windows. Is it worth $9,900? I have a chance to buy it. Need your advice.
Very nice looking. It's worth it. If I had just $9,900, I would buy it. :D

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
The car is worth what someone is wiling to pay for it. And if you're willing to pay $9,900 for it today, then it's worth that to you. I've seen other nice Graduates posted with similar asking prices, and they keep coming back on the same listings for sale, over and over. Keep in mind, a Graduate will be on the bottom of the desirable list for "collectible" spiders. If you plan to drive the car, and I hope you do, then it won't take many miles to have a Graduate that's worth $3,000. Those miles may bring lots of smiles, but they will cost you the depreciation in the car as you rack up the miles.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts