Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess there is somewhere to find this on the forum but I just saw my join date was February 25th 2010 so I am officially 10 years old in AlfaBB land. I know there are many, many others who have been here longer - who is the 'oldest'?

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
Hey Alister:

My profile indicates that I joined in January, 2005, so I guess I have 5 years on you. Back before the AlfaBB there was the Alfa Digest. At some point, the BB emerged and we all jumped ship from the Digest, because the BB allowed this high tech thing of posting photos! Wow, imagine that!

My point being that the BB only came into existence in the early naughts, so another way of asking your question might be: when did the BB begin accepting users?

·
Premium Member
14,033 Posts
I too joined when the Alfa Digest started to fade, in my case October 2004. I know that Papajam was already a member when I joined. There was an initial reluctance for some of us to join because the ABB owners had reportedly obtained and used the Alfa Digest membership list without permission but after a few months we read the writing on the wall. It was Jim Cheney who persuaded me to switch.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Late comer to the forum. AROC member since 75.
Well, that's certainly another angle....you have me by 2 years although my first "AROC" was AROC(NZ) which I joined in 1977. At a small gathering in a place called Cambridge, south of Auckland in my very first Alfa, a 1971 1750 Berlina.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Alister:

My profile indicates that I joined in January, 2005, so I guess I have 5 years on you. Back before the AlfaBB there was the Alfa Digest. At some point, the BB emerged and we all jumped ship from the Digest, because the BB allowed this high tech thing of posting photos! Wow, imagine that!

My point being that the BB only came into existence in the early naughts, so another way of asking your question might be: when did the BB begin accepting users?
Ah, the Alfa Digest. Never was a member but I certainly remember it.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Back before the AlfaBB there was the Alfa Digest.
But Jay, do you remember the Italian Car Digest, which came before the Alfa Digest? I became a member of that in 1990 when only college engineering and computer science majors knew what email was. Pre America Online and Yahoo. I had a Fiat 128 and was looking on some hot-rod-digest on a listserver and asked question about my car and a guy from Hawaii - "Renzo" told me about the Italian Car Digest. Most members of it were Alfa owners, so it spawned a new group and the remaining Fiat and Lancia ownwers didn't have enough to say, so it was the first to fade away.

Anyway, I seemed to have joined this in Sept. 2005. I do recognize a lot of names from the Alfa-Digest. When I started my current job 16 years ago, I met a co-worker with a Lancia and when I told him my name, he said "Hey Cats?". That's how I started all my posts and it seemed to have made an impression on him.

I'm also a member of Alfa-Owner for looking for Twin Spark parts from the guys mostly residing in Europe. They seem to have all the new model pages separately and only one old car section, whereas we have all the old cars in separate sections and only one section for modern cars.

I'm also a member of Ferrari Chat. I joined that to read about Formula1. Since I'm also a Ferrari fan, I wanted to be amongst Ferrari owners when reading about the races. I do read F1 here, but Alfa owners are not all Ferrari fans and are often very offensive towards Ferrari. I like to see both perspectives but generally feel like I'm with fans when reading over there. I see a couple familiar names there too. I see Pete post there once in a while.

Consequently, all three of these forums have now gone to the new look that everybody complains about. Some people quit over it I guess. The look is not as poppy or grabby to your eyes. The new generation of computer programmers don't seem to have any visual style in their skill sets. But a lot of software is starting to look this way.

I think this forum has some of the most intelligent and articulate people around. Also some of the most comprehensive in terms of project documentation. I browse other forums to read about some engine or other or some welding technique or something. People sure ask a lot of questions around the internet, but answers are often short and without details. Folks who find out something revealing often just say it without uploading any images. This forum is a true powerhouse of information and documentation.

·
Premium Member
14,033 Posts
I think that Simon Mestas was one of the original members and his join date is Nov 23, 2002

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this forum has some of the most intelligent and articulate people around. Also some of the most comprehensive in terms of project documentation. I browse other forums to read about some engine or other or some welding technique or something. People sure ask a lot of questions around the internet, but answers are often short and without details. Folks who find out something revealing often just say it without uploading any images. This forum is a true powerhouse of information and documentation.
I second that! I'm on a couple of Porsche forums as well, they mainly talk about whether they need to option leather or not and how much their cars are worth. The AlfaBB community is fantastic.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I was on the Digest first, and saw this form as an also ran, and emailed the admins back then about my displeasure. However, I did relent and joined, as this was so much easier to follow.

Oh yes, and pictures

·
Super Moderator
10,628 Posts
But Jay, do you remember the Italian Car Digest, which came before the Alfa Digest? I became a member of that in 1990 when only college engineering and computer science majors knew what email was.
Well, I can't say as I remember the Italian Car Digest, but not sure if that's because it was before my time or because my old memory is too hazy. I was on email pretty early - I had always worked for computer companies - we had an in-house email system back in the 80's, so people outside of academia did know what email was; we just weren't on the ARPANET. Our in-house system was connected to the internet around 1994 when Al Gore said it was OK for commercial entities to do so (which was a big break-through).

alfaparticle said:
I think that Simon Mestas was one of the original members and his join date is Nov 23, 2002
Didn't Simon start the Alfa BB? I recall that it was privately-operated in its early years, and we users were up in arms when its founder sold it to a commercial company.

I also participate in the BMW e9 forum. It is much smaller than the Alfa BB, its members tend to be quite polite and give technical advice similar in quality to the BB. The e9 forum is still privately operated, so no ads.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Didn't Simon start the Alfa BB? I recall that it was privately-operated in its early years, and we users were up in arms when its founder sold it to a commercial company.
This is true. In addition if I remember correctly he announced that he was selling his last Alfa and was getting out of the Alfa community. If that is not so, let me know. Me too my memory plays tricks on me. Maybe someone can check his last post if he still has an account.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
July 2004... can it have been that long? Also coming from Alfa Digest, and ARCC member since 1978.

I second the comments about the quality and depth of the discussions here. It is amazing how this forum links people from all over the planet, with a vast range of knowledge, way beyond Alfas only.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts