Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't got a ticket from the police, yet the **** parking meter people keep writing tickets.
Robert

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have had my Alfa since the age of 15, I never have had a plate on the
front. I have never had a plate on any of my Corvettes that I use as
everyday cars. For the last 18 years I have borrowed the front plate
from my other Alfa and put it on my SS. I live in Missouri and drive like
an old man so I dont draw alot of attention.

·
Registered
8,199 Posts
All states are different. I've never used one in Illinois, Kansas, or Massachusetts but the rules are REALLY goofy. In Kansas, you don't need a front one IF you don't have a vanity plate. I had vanity plates and never mounted the front and was never bugged. I don't remember the rules in Ill.
In Mass, the "old plates" that are just being recalled because the GREEN numbers on white background are rubbing off after many years of car washes and are unreadable. These were issued as one plate for the rear many years ago and are no longer transferrable. The current RED on white has two plates. I still only mount the rear but mount the front for annual inspection then remove it and toss it in the trunk as insurance should I be stopped.

The only reason the heat wants them mounted in the front is to use it for a target for their hand held radar guns. All the states with one plate are learning that the revenue lost by producing twice as many plates is recovered
by the increased speeding tickets a front plate helps deliver so the days of one plate are coming to an end.....BUT Steve is right, drive safely "under the radar" and they won't fuss with you...and park in parking lots....or move.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I've never used one in New York. I have a old Italian plate that fits perfectly in the space provided on my GTV. The US plates create too much wind resistance. :p

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
divotandtralee said:
The only reason the heat wants them mounted in the front is to use it for a target for their hand held radar guns
They do not need the plate at all to bounce radar or laser stuff.
Radar bounces off any solid and most semi~porous objects (grillework and even screens for example) in front of it regardless of size color or reflective coatings, and lasers bounce off any moderately reflective object in front of it. 'Reflective' being shiny paint, chrome trim, windshield, headlight reflectors or any number of other items that aren't completely non~reflective. A good wax job is plenty enough. Some will even work on rocks and cloth, but they are slower and work on a slightly different principle more suited to rangfinding rather than speed measuring.

What they DO want a front plate for is (1) the afore mentioned meter maids because god forbid they have to walk all the way to the back to read the #, (2) camera photo ID at intersections or whatever so covered/controlled/secured, and (C) the new~ish little cameras they have on patrol cars that read then automatically scan plates for licence/registation/insurance/whatever violatations. (ever caught that very faint flash of light out of the corner of your eye when passing an oncoming patrol car? Your plate has just been scanned) When it reads and sounds a violation alarm, they know to go getcha, all without them having to call in nuthin' to find out or make a zillion calls a day to check on plate info.

Speed trap stuff doesn't even make the list when it comes to front plates.

And to be topical:
I'd prefer to run no front plate, but johnny law around here is really anal about it and totally disregard the way the statutes are written regarding such things.
So, instead I got a custom Euro style plate that matches my #'s and put that on instead. Looks better than a US plate, and I've only been messed with once in 4 years about it, and didn't end up with a ticket regardless.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Different Countries...

When i lived in New Zealand i drove my car with a 'reduced' size front numberplate. Within weeks i was stopped by a police officer and fined $200 for having a non standard numberplate. - I put the original back on...

These days i live in England. I still drive the same car, but with no front numberplate. It's been 4 years now and i've never had a problem. - A policeman once asked where it was, i said "it has fallen off & i'm waiting for a replacement", he said "ok" and let me on my way....

I have also driven the car in numerous European countries (France, Germany, Italy etc) and the only time i've ever been questioned was when crossing the Swiss border, but it wasn't a problem...

And the car certainly looks better without...

IMG_2348_S.jpg

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I have driven mine for 8 years (has it been that already???) without a problem. Never stopped for not having one, never questioned when stopped for other reasons, never a problem during yearly safety inspections. I removed the bracket and filled in the location where it should go under the front bumper so there is no indication there ever was one. ;)
And it really does look SOOO much better without it...

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Covers can give cameras fits as they refract the flash and so blur the #'s, and the reflective quality of the plate paint is negated so they are more difficult to read in dim light.
Well, that and people tend to let them get so tore up, scratched and grody that you couldn't read a plate through it anyway :)

Check the motor vehicle statutes for your state. There's sometimes a specific one in there regarding lenses and covers.

'Course 50~60 miles down the highway from me, the state boys will hammer you with a ticket if you even have a frame that covers the tiniest bit of edge where the state name is.
Totally bogus, not covered by any statute, but brings revinue to the state onnaconna it's an equiptment violation (won't cause your insurance to go up or put points on your licence) and most people just say screw it and pay instead of fighting it becuase they don't want to take some time off work to go to court or are afraid they'll lose the battle against the bogus ticket and don't want to get stuck with courst costs should that happen.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Never had one on my Spider or GTV, never had a problem....as others have indicated, it really all depends on where you live

·
Registered
521 Posts
As much as people complain about Massachusetts, they allow a Year of Manufacture plate for vehicles over 25 years old. The cool thing is that you only have to display a rear plate, even if there were two issued that year. You don't need a sticker on the multi year plates, either. Here's a link to the info and an excerpt.

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/forms/20132.pdf

(v) The Registrar may approve of the display of only one (1) Year of Manufacture plate (if that is all that is
available) even though the RMV issued two (2) plates per vehicle in the year the plate was originally issued.
(vi) A Year of Manufacture plate must be displayed pursuant to Chapter 90, Section 6 of the General Laws but
the registration decal for the current registration period need not be attached to the plate. If it is not attached to
the plate it must be carried in the antique vehicle at all times and presented at the request of a Police Officer

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
NY too, but they limit the vehicle usage along with it.
ie: if you carry classic plates, then you can't use it as a daily driver, but can participate in parades, shows and the occasional weekend drive.

Part of the reason I haven't gone to the 1985 plates I have out in the garage that have been in the family since the 60's. Last year for the old blue on gold til the new plates that came out last year to *drumroll* generate more revinue, so why bother as they look almost the same enough to get me pulled over a zillion times in a row because I only have one and they look old and cops around here are too freakin' stupid to even know what a classic plate registration is.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Part of the reason I haven't gone to the 1985 plates I have out in the garage that have been in the family since the 60's.....

Ummmmm, huuuuuuuuhh??????
You gots some 'splaining to do Lucy! (and I'll take a shot of what ever your having!!!)

·
Registered
837 Posts
New Mexico only issues one license plate, so fortunately I don't need one for the front of my Spider!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Ummmmm, huuuuuuuuhh??????

NY's system allows you to transfer existing plates on a registered vehicle to a new/different vehicle provided that all the paperwork associated with said plates is transferred to the vehicle they are gonna be on.

WAY back in the day my mother got her plates and transfered them from car to car up until the 'liberty plates' with thier ***** blue on white with statue of liberty in the middle pattern that came out in 1986. At that time, they didn't require you to turn in the old plates when a registration was changed or the vehicle was taken off the road, so they hung in her garage on a nail for many years, and now hang in mine mine since then :shrug:

Perfectly legit, and simular to the California 'black plate' registration of classic cars.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Antique plates have limitations in MA, and an insurance discount, but not YOM, since it's a regular registration. Since I insure with Hegarty, it's not an issue.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Never been stopped, or written up. But if I ever do, I figure I can use the "but officer, I never got anything that would resemble a mounting bracket with the car...but I'll try to find one".

That should work...at least once!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts