Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Looking for info on how to change the headlights on my 82 spider. I have lens covers and no trim rings on my lights. I cannot see any screws or connections that allow me to remove the headlights. Also, I would like to replace them with a brighter (LED v halogen?) light. Any suggestions, info would be most appreciated.

Alfa Headlight.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,007 Posts
Remove the inner fender cover in front of the wheel to access the nuts that hold the light bucket in place.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Sfizio, just so happens I was in there this weekend looking at installing a relay kit to protect my new headlight switch. On my '74 there is an access panel right behind the headlight in the wheel well. The panel is large enough to remove and install a sealed beam. I have not done this job yet, just doing recon/planning so I might be wrong. Good luck!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much! I thought that might be the way in but am always reluctant to remove stuff that never seems to want to back on in the same fashion. Any experience with LED?

·
Premium Member
3,620 Posts
As Ed said, the headlight bucket mounting for the recessed light (that allows the Carrello headlight covers to fit) is from the inside of the fender. My '76 Spider still had the 3 threaded studs welded near the inside of the headlight opening even though it had the "US style" headlights. You will find that the headlight bucket has been drilled to be mounted on these studs - or the previous owner mounted the buckets in a different manner; but still from the rear. Accessing headlights mounted like this is a pain, but the upside is that this allows use of the Carrello covers without needing the hard to find smaller diameter trim rings that allow use of the "projected" headlights with the covers. BTW, your picture shows you do have the very small trim pieces that just cover the edge of the headlight openings.

Remove the inner fender cover in front of the wheel to access the nuts that hold the light bucket in place.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
I just moved my headlights behind the fender so I could mount Carello covers and while I was there I upgraded to Hella LEDs. Super bright and glad i did it.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
I'll try to look it up when I get home.... maybe it is on the receipt.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
I ordered them from Vintage Car and the model # is VC3500. The lens is about 1/8th on an inch thinner around the circumference so I shimmed it with some strip rubber.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@SkiBum Thanks. I'l lcheck it out. @coopp The guy who I bought the car from did the retro 70's work. You can do the bumpers easily for about 1500 bucks. Elimination of the marker lights and replacement with the Duetto side markers will take some body work but I really like the look.

·
Premium Member
86 Veloce
903 Posts
If you want the Hella LEDs just hit the upgrade....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts