Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a S3 spider that's parked remotely. Unfortunately my home garage fits only one car and the family hauler has to take it. There is no room in the drive way either and street parking is not an option unless I want the car to become homeless dude's bedroom. Point being, there are few other options.

I make a point to go and start the spider up at least once a week and take it out for a short drive. The car isn't hooked up to a trickle charger or anything. So far so good. My question is what would be the max interval I could go without exercising the car like this?

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
If you're looking for max interval dig up some of the winter storage threads, onnaconna with or without a trickle charge, they can sit several months or even longer in stasis because they were deliberately prepped to.

A few chemicals, battery removal, some prep of a few different items, and it can sit for a LONG time.

·
Administrator
17,464 Posts
IMO, starting the engine and driving it only briefly once a week might be doing more harm than good. The battery might get a few electrons but such brief use causes more engine problems than it helps. Unless it is driven long enough to really heat everything up to full operating temps for long enough to cook off contaminants, you may be causing more wear than prepping it for storage and letting it wait until you can really drive.

If you can't drive it regularly for 45-60 minutes outside of city streets, consider adding a fuel stabilzer (Stabil being a well known brand), changing the oil (fresh oil has a full compliment of additives against acids), airing up the tires and either disconnecting the battery or connecting a maintainer. (maybe a solar charger?)

·
Premium Member
6,243 Posts
Historically, the question may have something to do with "Miss Muffet".

:p:p

·
Super Moderator
11,219 Posts
How dry your storage area is has a lot to do with the rate at which the car will deteriorate. Cars left outdoors in the Arizona deserts can survive for years, except that blowing sand takes off their paint and scours their glass. Cars left indoors in New Orleans during hurricanes don't last very long at all.

·
Registered
380 Posts
FWIW - my '69 just spend ~ 15 months up on jack stands and in pieces. Did not start during this time at all. I didn't take any special precautions before since it was only going to be down a "few weeks" like all my other projects., right ? ;)
When it was ready, I asked a similar question to yours here on this board. Based on that, I drained the fuel tank and replaced it with fresh, cranked it for 20 sec or so without the sparkplugs in to get oil into the crank journal bearings, and cleaned the plug electrodes. It fired right up. Now, two weeks coming out of stasis, I haven't fond much wrong that wansn't there before.

Cheers
Jeff

1 - 7 of 7 Posts