Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How long are performance springs supposed to last before they're tired and worn out? Normal "street" and the "spirited drive through the twisty canyon road" conditions, no race track time and such.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
springs

the shankle springs i have in my 86 spider came off my 79 that i parted a few years ago. i bought them in the late 80's, still like new

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've been using the shankle springs as well. Don't remember if I got the sport or supersport. I've been happy with them in my 87 Quad with the hard top. I may be running a little lower because of weight, but haven't really had a problem with bottoming out too much. Have to watch for major dips in the road etc. The other day though, I bottomed out so hard I thought I chipped a tooth. Turns out, the next day I look at my hood and I got a ding in it. Pop the hood and see red paint on one of the clamps to the hoses where the air bleed valve is on throttle body. Motor mounts are good, shocks are good. Pissed me off. Thinking about it now though, I think everything was doing what it was supposed to be doing and I have to blame it on driver error. Came off an off ramp, under braking, front end compressed, decline in the ramp into transition to the actual road was a dip and then bump and slight incline to the actual road surface, turning left at the same time, probably about 15 mph when I bottomed out. All the right conditions to hurt my car. Looking at the road now, I can see gouges in the road surface where other cars have done the same thing. ****, sucks to be me, but thank God for oil pan guards.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've been using the shankle springs as well. Don't remember if I got the sport or supersport. I've been happy with them in my 87 Quad with the hard top. I may be running a little lower because of weight, but haven't really had a problem with bottoming out too much. Have to watch for major dips in the road etc. The other day though, I bottomed out so hard I thought I chipped a tooth. Turns out, the next day I look at my hood and I got a ding in it. Pop the hood and see red paint on one of the clamps to the hoses where the air bleed valve is on throttle body. Motor mounts are good, shocks are good. Pissed me off. Thinking about it now though, I think everything was doing what it was supposed to be doing and I have to blame it on driver error. Came off an off ramp, under braking, front end compressed, decline in the ramp into transition to the actual road was a dip and then bump and slight incline to the actual road surface, turning left at the same time, probably about 15 mph when I bottomed out. All the right conditions to hurt my car. Looking at the road now, I can see gouges in the road surface where other cars have done the same thing. ****, sucks to be me, but thank God for oil pan guards.
same thing happened to me mate. i made a mean little outward dent on the hood hitting a jump in the pavement at just 20mph.

it ran as if fine, but i noticed that reverse felt slightly wierd. alfa engine mounts dont break that visibly and even revving the engine wont show it. i had the mechanic replace them anyway and sure enough the passenger-side mount had snapped. so check that out .

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Yup.

I had a right side mount that looked new, shiny, bright, clean, firm, tight and intact.

Right up until the moment you put a jack under the pan and saw that the rubber block had completely seperated from the metal plate that anchors to the cross member.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I had the mounts changed last year, can't remember right now. I just have to be a bit more aware of road conditions for a while. The mounts from Paul Spruell have intrigued me for awhile now, good excuse to try them out.

·
Premium Member
822 Posts
soft mounts let the motor move in ALL directions. i have the eriminas urethane mounts. i do get a light buzzing thru the gas pedal at freeway speeds so i guess everything is a tradeoff. would i do it again? maybe

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
soft mounts let the motor move in ALL directions. i have the eriminas urethane mounts. i do get a light buzzing thru the gas pedal at freeway speeds so i guess everything is a tradeoff. would i do it again? maybe
Those Eriminas polyurethane mounts are very nice!!! Tradeoff, I don't think so, knowing they will never sag or fall apart like the original, how could there be a trade off???!!! Just one less thing to worry about!:D

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts