Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm new to the alfa ownership and have previously posted a number of questions. On my list of questions are How long, distance or time, do the 'Giunti Boschi' (i.e. driveline flex joint a.k.a donut) last and the engine mounts.

I plan on replacing these items in the next few weeks and was wondering how long they last under normal driving conditions, i.e. normal street use.

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Both should be good for 50,000+ miles if you're a mechanically sympathetic driver. However, these cars are not used every day and so you have to factor in other elements that would cause rubber to degrade, such as time itself. A car that racks up 50K miles in three years will have rubber bushes that are in better condition than another car which amasses the same mileage in thirty years. Sagging motor mounts are easy to diagnose and will take an hour or so to replace. Fatigued donuts are less easy to spot, you just need to inspect them now and then.

In short, fit good quality parts. Mildly uprated mounts are available from e.g. Alfaholics and these might be a good investment; I have a set on my car and they're excellent, no noise/vibration issues. Paul Spruell in the US sells a high quality 'donut' kit using parts sourced from BMW or Mercedes (I forget which), that might be a better buy than the original style made by Pirelli, as the 'new' donut is fiber-reinforced. The key to ensuring long life for your donuts is perfect propshaft alignment, so that they are not subjected to unnatural twisting and consequent fatigue. There are threads on the BB which will help you ensure that everything is straight and true. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You should consider the replacement of the transmission support bushing when you do the "giunta Boschi". It will help to restore the driveshaft alignment Alex speaks to.
You don't indicate the model year of your car. if its an S3 Bosch Spider, Oxygen sensor should be on the to do list as well as ultrasonic/solvent cleaning and blueprinting of the Injectors.

Elio

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi All,

My spider is a 1991, so an S4.

To answer the previous question, yes I will also replace the transmission mounts.

The reason we bought the car was in order of preference:
1. Body Style.
2. Mechanically easy to work on.
3. Affordable, I do all my own mechanical work.
4. With regards to point 2, I love to work on mechanical things, in this case the car.

To give you a bit of history. I bought this specific car in the fall (2010) as a sound base, it required no body work, and have done or I'm currently doing:
1. Upholster seats.
2. Replace clutch
--the following were as a result of replacing the clutch, you might as well:
3. Rebuild clutch slave cylinder.
4. Replace flex joint - existing one was cracked.
5. Replace motor mounts
6. Replace transmission mounts.

That is it for this year, wife is sensitive to my budget, next year will be another list.

Bob

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
93 with 13k miles in 2006.

Motor and trans mounts were shot. (replaced)
Drive donut was like new. (removed, inspected and reinstalled)

I'm thinking the donut had no stresses while just sitting around but the motor mounts are always bearing the static loads of the engine.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
You will be a real Alfa man once you change out the intake side motor mount.

The rest sof your list is good! Have fun and keep your sense of humor.....

·
Registered
797 Posts
I would recommend the upgraded motor mounts. My first set of "regular" mounts lasted 6 months...I'd like to think the rubber was simply not a very good quality. On the positive side, I learned how to replace the mounts in just a couple of hours compared to the three days it took me the first time! So I got that going for me. : )

·
Registered
385 Posts
well on mine it took me three days also was not familiar with the car. Once you get used to what hoses go where and this and that its not to bad. One thing I have to say is be prepared to give up some blood and cramped fingers on that passenger side motor mount.
I said okay whoever designed this side was laughing when he came up with the layout.
Drivers side a piece of cake made me almost want to cry in relief.

Angel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts