Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Click on Go Advanced first if addtional options does not show up, then click on manage attachments and then go browse your computer for pictures , click on picture and then click on upload picture. Once picture uploads go get more if desired up to 5 per post if correct size. Then close window and save reply to post.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Trying to upload a pic of my sorted silver machine and following the instructions given but it says uploading file failed is this because its too big or what?
All I am doing is selcting a pic from my docs and will not do it.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
There is some kind of limit(s) on the size of the file(s). They are there so you don't take up all the bandwidth and free space on the server, hehe :)! I don't know the limits and it might depend on the file types.

For posting pictures, I suggest taking pictures at about VGA (640x480 pixels) resolution. A picture too wide (1024 might be ok but beyond that) will make the browser expand and some time that can be sort of annoying. Most cameras will produce J-peg pictures and that's a good format with very good file compression (so the file is smaller). BMP (bitmap) files have no compression.

If you have existing high resolution pictures, you need to "re-sample" the picture down so the file size is acceptable. Many photo/imaging editing software have this feature, so play around. Some also let you select the level of compression at a trade-off of fidelity/clarity.

HTH.

Edit:
If you look at the picture that Steve posted, it does tell you what the limits are before you upload the attachments - I just haven't bumped into the limits much so I didn't play too much attention ;)!

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I try to shot all my JPEG format pictures at 640x480 resolution for internet posting. Some of stuff I save to file to post from screen captures out of shop manuals or parts CD uses .png format and takes a whole lot less space. Each type format is listed with size limits when you click on manage attachment bar. But no matter what type of format used only 5 pictures allowed at a time.

You have to crop a large JPEG photo to smaller size to post it.

See attachment key photo above and you can see the file size limits for each type of file you can post a picture or screen capture of.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Many of my pic files are waaay too big for most bb's or sites like MySpace so I use a cheap free photo editor called "Irfanview". I'll copy from my normal photo editing software or wherever I've saved it to Irfanview where I can resize it without altering the original file.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Many thanks I hope this works , its taken me a while to work out how to use it, so here goes!
Nope, that not working for me, I downloaded Irfanview and resized photo to 640x480 but when I upload the size it says is to big , well it comes out at 900kb so does the picture need to be taken at a lower resolution or does Irfanview have this option to get the file size down?

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like you got it on other post as I see your picture there so you must have gotten it down below 249.0 KB size and less than 800 width.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
How Do I Post Pictures to a Post

Trying to upload a pic of my sorted silver machine and following the instructions given but it says uploading file failed is this because its too big or what?
All I am doing is selcting a pic from my docs and will not do it.
FWIW, if you have future problems, if you look right above the words "Manage Attachments" after you have clicked "browse" and "upload" there will be a failure message that tells you why the process failed. It will say something like xxx amount allowed for this application. You then have to figure out by looking at your extension what kind application you tried to load and see if it's within the parameters shown in the manage attachments. Most of the time it is size, but I have had other problems also that I've been able to figure out or correct based on the failure message.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes I did put it there eventually , thought it was appropiate since it was the car I was trying to fix.
A friend came in and put me right with what was doing wrong, I can`t say I grasped it fully but it will get better I am sure, many thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time to bump this up again here is how to post pictures.

·
Premium Member
27,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another request for this info came in tonight.

I think now max width is 700 vice 800 in my screen captures of a few years ago.

I just set my camera to 640x480 before I shot pix of car stuff I am going to post for show and tell on BB and can post 5 pix and not exceed the 249kb file size for Jpeg files.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts