Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gt 1600 junior early 1750 shape.
It's cut out a few times and gone almost completely dead, dim dash lights and slow cranking, leave it 30 mins and it's fine and starts no problem.

I was balancing the carbs the other day and touched the body and bracket of the coil and it was very hot to touch.

Any thoughts please

Thanks

·
Registered
6,218 Posts
Remove the plug leads at both ends and check for any sign of arcing. Also check the engine earthing straps. I fitted some poorly made repro green Cavis leads late last year, and had similar problems. I replaced the coil and made up my own leads using parts from The Green Spark Plug Company. Fortunately my brand new set of Lodge 2HLs did not suffer any damage. No further difficulties since then.

·
Premium Member
15,015 Posts
Does your car have a ballast resistor? If the coil is intended to be used with one and it has been removed then it may cause the coil to overheat and break down.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Good question
How do you know if it's supposed to have a ballast.

Just checked the wiring diagram and it doesn't seem to have one, it could be in the coil.
Thinking about it might not be the right coil ��

·
Premium Member
15,015 Posts
Most, if not all US cars up to about 1980 had ballast resistors and I expect that the European cars were the same. The coil resistance was a little over 1 ohm and the total resistance of coil and resistor was 3 or 4 ohms. If you have a points distributor then a Bosch Blue coil is a good choice as it does not need an external ballast resistor. There are high energy coils that are low resistance and do not need a ballast resistor but they will burn up points very quickly.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Where would the ballast be located? Not seen one
There is nothing near the coil, would it be located on the +terminal .

I pulled the coil off and it's some weird brand "zundspule". 110001 part number.
So looks like I'll replace it with 0221 119 027 Bosch unit and a condenser

·
Premium Member
15,015 Posts
The ballast is wired to the + terminal of the coil and is located close to the coil - a square object with two terminals. I don't know Bosch part numbers but the blue coil is well known.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
12,567 Posts
I have a gt 1600 junior early 1750 shape.
It's cut out a few times and gone almost completely dead, dim dash lights and slow cranking, leave it 30 mins and it's fine and starts no problem.
Coil probably shouldn't be so hot, but I'm having trouble seeing how a bad coil could cause an overall low voltage situation.

I mean, maybe if it were internally shorted. But if it were pulling enough current to pull down the voltage at the starter it should've probably burst into flames by now.

I guess a quick test would be to disconnect the + lead to the coil next time this happens. If it still has dim lights and slow cranking then the coil isn't your problem.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Definitely don't have a one of those.

Forgetting the cutting out bit it's running like a pig:joy:

Feels like it's running on 3 cylinders, when moving, but removing a lead from each plug makes very little difference. Spark to each plug

New plugs, new leads and rotor, I figure I might as well change the cap, coil, condenser and points.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.