Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How far and to where have Alfisti driven their spiders this summer?

Just drove down from Twin cities to Iowa City (about 275 miles). Great drive. A few lovely segments. Some light drizzle at the start but going too fast to get droplets in the ****pit! Went as fast as 90 mph for a few stretches but mostly hung around 75. Really did great. Nothing fell off as far as I can tell.

Also took a drive up to Duluth and the north shore of MN from the Twin cities earlier last month with my wife. Much more dangerous move but car did great and didn't breakdown (her number one criteria).

Attachments

·
Registered
576 Posts
I drive mine about 80 miles a day with some regularity. At least 1-2 times a week. My 1984 has much longer legs than my 1976, it makes the miles go by faster and easier!

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
how much driving vs. maintenance

What might be a better question is, since you have owned your Alfa, what percentage of your time has been spent driving it versus maintaining it?
I bought my '88 Quad in May, and we have had a phenomenal spring and summer here in the Northwest, but I have only put about 8 to 10 hours of driving time in since I purchased her (apparently the POs weren't as big on maintenance as I am).

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
Daily driver- about 7000 miles a year. Avg. 5 days down time per year for maintenance/repairs.
(my alfa shop is fast)

It seems it is true that the more you drive them, the better they run.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
How far can I drive my Spider? As far as my eyes can see, my mind can invision, my heart can fathom, my soul can carry and my body withstand.
(my best so far is 1740 miles in 2 1/2 days).

·
Registered
26 Posts
It is nice to know there are other Alfas in the Twin Cities.
I never see any on the road.

I hope to make a run to the north shore on a nice fall day.

Just picked up an 86 Quad, want to give it a complete once over before any long drives.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I only do about 20 miles a day on average, (daily driver in the nice weather) now that my work is closer. But I'd drive it far without reservation as ...hopefully I'm not jinxing myself....it has been very reliable.
the farthest I have gone has been about 400 mile round trip.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Drove mine to north of Toronto and back 3 times this past spring. That's about 600 miles per trip. No issues at all apart from a sore back from seats needing re-ulphostering. :001_smile:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rumi,

I drove my 1973 Spider from PA to CA a year ago (3,000+ miles) and just finished a longer drive back (5,300+). Doing it in a 69 Spider would be even better..... ;-). I completed a basic restoration (body, brakes and suspension) of the car about 10 years ago and a head, rings and rod bearings about 4 years ago. The car did great and what a joy it is to drive these wonderful cars, top down, on a nice day through beautiful country. For such a trip, being a member of the Alfa Club with members along the way to help is a good idea. As well as premium AAA coverage just in case. I posted bits of the trips on the bb.

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/340482-longer-drive-back-ca-pa.html

Get out there and drive those Alfas. Happy Roads, Al

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I try to do at least one long excursion every summer. This year it was from Minneapolis to the Alfa Convention in MI, and then on to Buffalo, NY, Toronto, Sault Ste. Marie, and home to MN via the Upper Peninsula. Two ferry rides, all 5 Great Lakes, and 2,200 miles in 1 week (albeit with a slight complication). My return from Sault Ste. Marie was delayed about 7 days when the charging system (generator) failed. It took a 15 hour bus ride back to the Twin Cities, a generator rebuild in a St. Paul shop, which I shipped back to the repair shop in MI for re-install, etc. A one-way rental car got me back to Sault Ste. Marie and into the Duetto for a leisurely drive home. First time I've had any mechanical difficulties on a long trip.

Last year it was to Steamboat Springs, CO (2,800 mi), the year before to the Black Hills (< 2,000 mi), and in 2011 to the Lexington, KY AROC Convention (2,000 mi). I average about 4,000 mi/year. Not my daily driver, not in this climate.

For those of you in the Twin Cities, Wheels of Italy is scheduled for this Sunday next to Lake Calhoun (10 AM to 4 PM). Always a good variety of vehicles, and this year the Alfa Romeo dealer in town is bringing a 4C. The weather forecast is ideal for the weekend. See you there:

WHEELS OF ITALY : The Official Site

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Dan--Sorry to hear about your mechanical woes on the way back from the convention but glad you made it. Our return trip was thankfully without incident and the plan is to have both Alfas at WOI on Sunday.

I've put a lot of local miles on my Spider in 11 years and been as far as the North Shore, about 500 miles round trip. The foot position gets rough for me after about 3 hours but that's what ice cream breaks are for. As fun as my Spiders is, the Giulia is a serious road eater. 1500 miles round trip to the convention in Detroit this past summer and 1200 miles up from TX last spring in high style and comfort...

Great to see so many who are unafraid to get out and use these wonderful cars as intended, especially up here in the North Country... Cheers, all.

Jim

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for your kind concern. The occasional roadside problem is just something we all must deal with if we are to enjoy driving our wonderful automobiles. The experience was more of an inconvenience that turned into an adventure by the time it was done. Now I have a story "about that time I was driving through Sault Ste. Marie...."

I'll be at the Wheels of Italy on Sunday for the first 2-3 hours. I hope to see you there.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It is nice to know there are other Alfas in the Twin Cities.
I never see any on the road.

There are two in Uptown Minneapolis (just south of downtown). Mine, and one that lives near lake of the isles.

As a grad student I don't really drive much except for pleasure. My Spider gets out during the mid-spring to mid-december time. I put on about 400 miles last year, but with more work out of the way I hope to put even more next year..

I will be entering a road rally with the spider (SCCA - Land O' Lakes Region - Road Rally, Rum Runner Rally) on October 4th. I hope to make the first Alfa Romeo to FINISH a LOL-region road rally!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I misread this post initially, i thought it said
"how far away are you from driving your Spider"

I am hopefully 3 months or less away from driving my Spider but i do intend to put 25 to 50 miles each week on her.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Jim,

Thanks for your kind concern. The occasional roadside problem is just something we all must deal with if we are to enjoy driving our wonderful automobiles. The experience was more of an inconvenience that turned into an adventure by the time it was done. Now I have a story "about that time I was driving through Sault Ste. Marie...."

I'll be at the Wheels of Italy on Sunday for the first 2-3 hours. I hope to see you there.
I will be there, hope to meet some members.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For those of you in the Twin Cities, Wheels of Italy is scheduled for this Sunday next to Lake Calhoun (10 AM to 4 PM). Always a good variety of vehicles, and this year the Alfa Romeo dealer in town is bringing a 4C. The weather forecast is ideal for the weekend. See you there:

WHEELS OF ITALY : The Official Site[/QUOTE]

SHould be driving back from iowa city tomorrow and aim to be at the Wheels of Italy Sunday (car may have some bugs on the windshield!)

Great to hear that these cars are getting their legs stretched!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts