Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All- Per the title, I bought a brand new top boot cover from World Upholstery, I see no snaps of any kind on the car along the front edge. Does the flap simply get captured between the soft trim and the body? A picture or two would help as well...

·
Push hard and live
10,895 Posts
If you’re referring to the piece that covers the “pit” where the convertible top spends most of its life, then.....

MOST of the 2000s have a bar that curves around and to which the rear vertical upholstery cards attach. If you have that bar, then yes, the pit-cover forward edge is glued to the bar before the rear vertical upholstery cards are attached.

Some very late 2000s transitioned toward the 2600 configuration, and had no rear upholstery bar. In this case, the whole rear upholstery is much more like the 2600, but in what specific ways, I cannot say.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hello 2600
I want to replace my boot cover as well.How is the quality of the wup.cover?I have a 2 liter but they should attach the same way.The flap folds over the metal bar and uses contact cement to secure it.Than the soft trim covers it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So when the top is up, the cover just flips forward and stays attached? My car does have the metal structure, and original trim panels.
Cast iron 2000- The World Upholstery cover looks great, made of very supple black leather. Need to install the fasteners though, and it is lightly padded, so I am concerned about trying it myself. Has anyone here done the install?

·
Registered
66 Posts
2600 -Here are some photos of one members install.
Do you have the fasteners installed on the body already or are the holes filled?
My car has the original holes still intact.It will make the job much easier.I was going to try laying out the cover where it belongs,welting along front edge of metal bar and then marking where the Studs meet the boot cover.Than punching the holes

Attachments

·
Push hard and live
10,895 Posts
Yes, the cover just sort of flips up out of the way of the top when it is erected.

installing the boot has its challenges. The leather (or vinyl) must be tensioned just the right amount to look good, but not so much as to cause wrinkles. You will find that it must be pulled taught from end to end as well. Thus, you must carefully determine the middle of the cover and the bar, and start your gluing there, working outward. I found it helpful to stretch, glue, and clamp for several inches, then go away and let it dry, then return and do some more. You will want to let the curved part get strong before continuing.

Reactions: 2600touring

·
Push hard and live
10,895 Posts
You should not punch your fastener holes until the front edge is attached. You may find that your first effort at stretching and gluing left the forward ends either too short or too long of the goal. In that case, there is no choice but to break your glue bond, back up, and take another run at it.

AFTER the leading edge is attached to the bar correctly, you can (using some friendly assistance) go around the trailing edge marking where to hole-punch for your fasteners.

Again, start in the middle and work outward, alternating sides. The challenge is to avoid diagonal wrinkles in the curved areas toward the outside of the car. You may have to loosen the glue joint in the curved sections and reglue to avoid wrinkles.

Water and the sun can help with small wrinkles after you’ve done the best you can.

Reactions: 2600touring

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Don, great help as always. I'm used to top covers to be removed from the car when the top is erected, so the fixed forward edge had me confused. Thanks cast iron 2000 for the pics as well.

·
Push hard and live
10,895 Posts
I bought a rotary punch at Joann Fabrics. One can rotate the head to select the right diameter hole, then it operates like pliers..

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
I took these pictures yesterday. It looks like Serge's photographs and Don's description covers the boot cover but perhaps something will be helpful.

Top boot.jpg

Top boot side.jpg

Top boot cavity.jpg

The boot cover can just flop inside the top cavity when the convertible top is erected. When the hard top is installed, the outer sides of the boot cover need to be released from their Tenax fasteners. Sorry, no photo of this.

Mark

·
Push hard and live
10,895 Posts
Notice that Mark’s cover has a variety of wrinkles. On a certain level, we tend to ignore or get use to this. It is, however, possible to achieve a perfectly flat cover with just the right amount of tension that there are no discontinuities around the fasteners. You are unlikely to achieve this with your first effort. Hasten slowly, repent in leisure.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts