Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there a "rule of thumb" here?
I am debating whether to either get a complete valve overhaul or just a simple valve adjustment. Actually I'm trying to make my money go as far as i can.

I'm not sure what the best course of action is right now?

Any help, suggestion and insight would be appreciated.

:cool: ALFSEDAN

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would do the valve job just because of the low compression on the #2 and 3. Not that it's a big deal, but given that you said the timing chain was loose, and knowing how Alfa valve guides wear, I would do the timing chain, head gasket, heads and maybe that will help pass emissions to. From a mechanical standpoint the car is fine, and would run like that for miles, but as far as preventative maintenance goes it's not a bad idea to just bite the bullet. It's more of a judgment call than a matter of "needing" the work. That's my $.02 :) :D ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your advice , suggestions and insightful comments......

I would do the valve job just because of the low compression on the #2 and 3. Not that it's a big deal, but given that you said the timing chain was loose, and knowing how Alfa valve guides wear, I would do the timing chain, head gasket, heads and maybe that will help pass emissions to. From a mechanical standpoint the car is fine, and would run like that for miles, but as far as preventative maintenance goes it's not a bad idea to just bite the bullet. It's more of a judgment call than a matter of "needing" the work. That's my $.02 :) :D ;)
Are worth more to me than .02 cents 5yr..........."I need to know this stuff ".

And I need to understand this as soon as possible.

Got it. Thanx again . Its a judgement call.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool,,,, I like it when I dont have to make the decision ...

I would do a full tune up including timing the cams and checking the valve clearances. Then, check the compression again. Then, make your decision.
..until the last possible ....I think I can live with that. Just as long as I have the facts-/knowledge of all the possibilities and pitfalls.

That will be my "judgement call decision"

Money may or may not be factor ,,,,............probably will be though.

Good advice Ossiseppia
and Thanx

:cool:ALFSEDAN

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
osso is correct; for accurate compression readings, the cam timing and valve clearances must be in spec. I see a reference to low compression in cyls 2 & 3 but what are the readings? What, if any, are the symptoms? Low compression in two adjacent cylinders could be caused by a bad head gasket.

One needs conclusive test results to accurately point to a source of a problem. Without such, it's nothing but guesswork.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I would do a full tune up including timing the cams and checking the valve clearances. Then, check the compression again. Then, make your decision.
Sound advice, but I would be concerned about the timing chain too, depending on how loose it is...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Excellent insight Papajam...........

One needs conclusive test results to accurately point to a source of a problem. Without such, it's nothing but guesswork.[/QUOTE]

and thank you.

We are trying to take as much guesswork:eek: out of this repair job as we can....

It's just that there is so much that needs to get done, I mean where do you begin. And before we begin,.....something else seems to pop up. :eek:

Regarding the motor....this appears to be the place to start. The mechanic said that my cam timing is right on... but the timing chain is loose,,,,
... okay got that part...I fix that. ....ALSO he said my current valve adjustment is fair..... with the #4 valve slightly off at .015 and the #1 exhaust valve is very tight at .012 (should be .018-.020 ,,right?)

In addition, my ignition timing is correct.

As far as the head gasket goes........How do you tell that the head gasket is bad......i mean , if it's not leaking.
Should I just go ahead a replace it as preventive maintenance?:confused:

And IF we change out the head gasket ,,,,,, That seems to be the most appropriate time to do a valve overhaul...... right?......I mean the the valve head is already off. And if the price is right , I'll do it. But seeing as there is much to be done with the car.....I have to weigh "money vs rationale" :rolleyes:

But really, i'm leaning towards a full tune-up, tightening the timing chain and valve adjustment.......Then the compression check. And then decide for a valve overhaul or not.

So what do you think Jim-Aka.-Papajam.........do you think this course of action will point to something conclusive?

Appreciatively

·
Registered
625 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
The leak down test does appear to be the best method...

I would see what it would cost you to do a leak-down test, that should tell you where the problem is. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leak-down_tester A general way to find where the problem is.
for a compression test. The article says that this can tell you if you have a bad valve or bad head gasket.

I think that is incredible. I believe this is the best method and we'll use to it the test compression.......after the tune-up, valve adjustment and timing chain fix.

I attached the article in case someone might be interested.

Thanx again 5yr.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts